Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hullo. Maritime Canuck checking in!

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
hi, I'm a soon to be new Cavvy mommy. I'm here to learn all that I can. We already have their home all built. We have it on a table so the little people (aka children) can't get in and grab them without permission/supervision. I put a carpet remenant on the ramp after we took that picture.

The bedding is 2 layers of high quality super absorbant Terry cloth, and a layer of fleece.

My husband put alot of effort into the piggy home. :D Trying to find a local farmer with some bulk hay. There's an ad on kijiji for horse hay at $2/bale, Is horse hay good to feed piggies?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hullo.  Maritime Canuck checking in!

It depends what kind of horse hay really. Guinea Pigs can eat Timothy, Bermuda, Alfalfa (if they are under 6 months of age) but mainly I would look for high quality Timothy Hay. You can determine the general quality of hay by these factors:

It is:

Sweet smelling

Army green/lighter green

Not crummy/falling apart, nice LONG strands

__

Also, you can buy from KMS hayloft at (broken link removed)

They sell THE BEST Timothy Hay around. And, it is much cheaper than buying from mostly any store/feed supplier anywhere.

Your cage looks great!

You should immediately remove that "Snak Shack" from the cage. Those are unhealthy for the piggies. If you don't know what I am talking about, it is at the bottom left of the picture you posted.

Also, don't use those "Pigloos" They do not have good ventilation and the piggies can trap each other inside. Assuming you are getting more than 1 pig, which you definitely should do, as they are social animals. Basically, use anything with 2 entrances/exits.

Also, make sure that those grids for your cage are 9x9 in squares. Anything less, and you face the risk of your piggies getting their head stuck and this could be potentially fatal.

And, just to help you, you should make sure the ramp to the upper level of your cage is covered with something that allows traction for your Piggies feet. Otherwise, they may slide. Correct me if you have something there and I simply cannot see it in the pigture.

____

So, welcome to the forum!

_______

Always nice to see new members in our growing community of Cavy lovers.

_________

;)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome!!!
You can only order KMs hay if you live in the states, but you can order their pellets if you're not in the states. Looking for local hay is always the cheapest. What kind of horse hay is it? Cavies need a constant supply of any grass hay 24/7. Grass hays are timothy, orchard, bluegrass, bermuda, etc. Alfalfa is a good supplement for guinea pigs under 6 months, but they will still need a grass hay.
I love your cage!

Last edited:
I have no idea. The ad just says "Good quality horse hay" I dunno. I think we'll just buy the Timothy stuff from the pet store until hay season comes around, and then I can go up to one of the local farms and buy a bale or two. I live in a agricultural area so it's not hard to get local hay. Heck I've seen 600lb bales of %90 Timothy %10 Clover for $30. But I have no where to keep 600lbs of hay, nor do I know any other cavy friends around here.

BTW the ramp is now covered by a piece of carpet remenant. Husband just took the picture before I finished cutting it.

Your cage is great. The log home is only unhealthy if they eat it, mine never ate theirs (it was only a step stool for them) and they were always fine. Lots of people use the "pigloos", although it is true they only have one entrance so just make sure no one gets puppy-guarded; if your guin stays in it all day the poop will build up, so you'll also have to watch for that. Everyone has their opinions about what's the best here, but you will get to know your own guinea pigs and what works best for them :) (the opinionated stuff like best house, not factual stuff like the healthiest diet, although some pellets work great for some guinea pigs while others can't stand it or can't have it for health reasons.) I know some people do buy good quality local hay, it's definitely the best deal instead of shipping long ways or buying every month at the store. For more ideas about cage accessories, check out Hot Tips by scrolling down from the forum home page. I personally recommend a "fleece forest" lol

hmm interesting. Luckily the local vet is also well versed in exotics, and I have an Animal Care Aide certificate. Is it standard practice, to get the piggies spayed/neutered? Like are there any extra health concerns in intact animals vs altered animals? I know that in dogs, especially female ones, that are left intact, and not bred, the possibility of pyometria goes up. (It's an infection of the uterine horns that can be deadly) How much would a spay/neuter be for cavys? Just a rough ballpark figure.

cage looks awesome cant wait to see the piggies

I've never gotten any of mine neutered, but I have read about it on here. Spaying a female does remove her risk of getting ovarian cysts, if I understand correctly, but I don't know of any other reason to do it as it's a riskier procedure than neutering a male. Because neutering a male does nothing to change his personality, it's done if he is to go in with intact females. I think it's safe to say it's not standard practice persay, as in like for a cat or dog, because guinea pigs are such small animals and any surgery is a risky procedure, not to mention the after-care. Are you thinking of getting male and a female?

Last edited:
no. We're planning either M/M (Father/Son) or F/F that are available at our local SPCA.

I was just wondering if spay/neutering helps the animals in any way other than keeping pups from being born.

Horse hay is generally fine for pigs -- both animals need a long strand grass hay. The thing you have to be careful about is that for many years, a huge percentage of North American hay fields that had fescue in them were contaminated with an endophyte which caused problems in all sorts of animals. They've done a lot to bring that under control, but I can't find a current map that shows the distribution of it.

So what I'd do is ask what kind of hay it is. You need a long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, blue, meadow, brome). If it's got a lot of other stuff in it, you need to check it out carefully, and maybe pass until you can find a cleaner bale.

I keep my hay in the garage, and I'd kill to be able to buy 600 pounds for $30. For that, I'd stuff mattresses with hay and we'd ALL sleep on it! You couldn't possibly use 600 pounds of hay for guinea pigs in two years, which is about its useful life. Maybe you can mulch plants with it or something.

Spaying does prevent pyometra and ovarian cysts in females, but because it's such an invasive and serious surgery for them, and because the surgery is so expensive, most people do not spay the females unless it's necessary. Neutering the males isn't quite as serious a surgery, nor as expensive, but doesn't usually radically change their behavior the way it will in the males of some other species.

Very few guinea pig rescues routinely spay and neuter, usually because it's so expensive they can't afford it.

Yeah we have a garage, but it's not all that dry, especially now in the winter. In the spring/summer it is. We just need to move some stuff around to be able to put a bale of hay in there. We're probably gonna just go with pet store timothy hay until haying season and hit up a local farmer.

For veggie introduction I plan on using pellets and gradually increasing the amount of veggies given, if they aren't used to veggies when I get them. They might be rescues, but, there's no guarantee their first home fed them anything more than pellets/seeds. I'll have to call the SPCA and ask...they might know.

btw, the "pet store" I get the stuff from is a local grooming/pet supply store owned by a couple of local vet assistants. No animals for cash change hands there and they actively promote rescue, and donations to the SPCA/other rescue orgs.

Guess I should change the terminology on where I get my pet stuff. It's a "Pet Supply/Grooming store" not..a "pet store" since they don't actually sell animals there.

Another thing, I'm looking at the pics of a couple of piggies on the petfinder site, that are at my local SPCA, and one if them, has hairless ears...is that..normal?

That's one of them. Could that be a sign of mites?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Hullo.  Maritime Canuck checking in!

Last edited:
Nope, that's not a sign of mites -- guinea pig ears are pretty bald.

Oh ok, I was concerned there for a minute. I hope that I can rescue him and his friend. No guarantees though...Piggies don't stay at our SPCA for very long.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.