Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Huge cut on ear.

CrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Ugh I feel sick. After posting earlier about Dulce not getting out of the kitchen area I got her out again to to check on her a little more closely. I noticed that her ear is split in two! This makes me sound like a terrible owner. How did I not notice this before? The gash is about 3/4 of an inch, and the blood is dried but seems fairly new. She doesn't seem to mind me messing with it too much, but I am just terrified at how she got it. The problem is that I have no clue how she got it. There are two different options that I can think of:

1. Elephant did it. But they don't fight. They chatter at each other and do the nose in the air thing, but it hasn't come to a physical issue.

2. One of my darn cats. My cats live upstairs but every once in a while someone will leave the down stairs door open and they will sneak down. Usually they don't mess with my gp's, they just try to take the hay out of the cage.

So I have two questions:
1 is how to cat proof the cage? I have a closed 2 story C&C, but the cats can get their paws through.

2. Can I use hydrogen peroxide on her cut so it doesn't get infected?

She is in my lap right now and is acting normal.

I feel terrible! I am down here with the most of my day and I don't understand how I didn't see this happen!!! :(

Definitely not hydrogen peroxide -- it's very drying to the tissues, and shouldn't be used on man nor beast. You can clean it with a little diluted chlorhexidine if you have it, and watch it carefully. But it should be ok.

About all you can do with cats is double the grids in any area where the cats can get.

Thanks for the quick response! I actually thinking I do have clorhexidine. I have some extra grids from the cage so I will zip tie those on. Poor baby, blind in one eye and now a split ear. She is a sight.

Don't use hydrogen peroxide on the cut. You could put some betadine on the cut. These things happen and, luckily, ears tend to heal fine.

Usually pigs are smart enough to move away from any cat paws poking in the cage, but since your girl is partially blind she may not notice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.