Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction HUGE blockage - cause?

Smudgetoffee

Cavy Slave
Our Smudge, a boar aged approx. 6 years, has had a bloat problem for some time (about half of his life), which is treated whenever it arises using 3x1ml Fibreplex/day.

Got home from college to find he was a tiny bit bloated, as he often is before his cage is cleaned - he still seemed fairly perky.

Picked him up to clean his cage, and found this absolutely enormous blockage measuring about 4.5*4.0*3.0cm, only the end of which was visible before removal:

After plenty of squeezing (and unfortunately pain for the poor animal) I eventually managed to remove it and he has gone back to normal size.

Aside from being the size it is it is of healthy colour and texture, which makes me think it's some kind of motility issue? Am I right in thinking this?

He has remained for the most part his usual perky self before and after removing, he spent about 5 minutes after removal cleaning and looking sorry for himself, and is now acting like nothing happened.

Cheers

EDIT: Stuck behind it were also some smaller, perfectly formed poos, for the record.

i just adopted a 5 year old boar with impaction problems. at first i had to help him push his poo out 2X day, but lately he seems to be pushing them out more often by himself. when i check, there's only a little poo stuck that i help push out. and yes, sometimes there are perfecty normal looking poos behind the clump. i'm going to be cutting back more on his veggies. i was told, and have researched some, that impaction is not an unusual condition for older boars. don't know if this adresses your question or helps at all. good luck with your boy!

Does his sac get examined at least weekly, and cleaned if needed? If not, someone needs to do that. Making sure he has plenty of fiber in his diet will help, as will exercise.

Sounds like he was impacted, big time. Some things that help--exercise (cage size), companionship, and lots of fiber (hay).

Thankyou all for the help - he's doing much much better now, oddly enough with no signs of blockage whatsoever. Removing that blockage (must've been there quite some time - he's much perkier than he's been in a couple of weeks, at least0 and regular dosing of Fibreplex seems to be keeping him on his feet.

Think I'll have to start cleaning him weekly just to be safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.