Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables How To Tell?

Kiwisoo

Cavy Slave
With multiple piggies in one cage, (we have 2), how can we tell that both are eating enough of everything that is offered? I suspect one may be eating more veggies than the other one, but I can't be sure. Do we just hope for the best and give enough for two and hope that one doesn't eat both portions?

I know exactly how you feel. Ive been thinking for awhile that my boys have this situation. What Ive been doing is hand feeding the smaller one Meo when he is out of the cage. That way i know he's getting his veggies.

I've had pigs for a while now (4 yrs). I've always had multiples. At one point I had 4 in a 2x6 cage. They will get full, that is one thing I have learned. They will also learn to eat fast and get as much as they can. If your really worried you can take one out and feed them. Feeding one in the cage and one on your lap. But for the most part they will get enough.

OK---that's good to know. Ours are babies yet and have not tamed down enough to take food from us for hand feeding. I am suspicious one of them might be eating the veggies and the other one may not be getting enough. Will keep watching, especially the separate dishes. Thanks much.

While I only have 2 girls now, I've started feeding them with separate bowls at either end of the cage. This because one of them never ate fast enough from whole leaves & bigger pieces, and the other tried to sample it all.

Now they stay by their bowls, and they eat at about the same rate with the same amount.

Mine sometimes "fight" (grab and steal, run of, other one grabs and steals, in the end they eat side by side), or we will put them in different areas of thy cage\one in one out to feed them.

I have put their salad/veggies bowls on opposite sides of the cage and observed, and it's obvious that they know their own bowls. SO FAR. Even if they swap back and forth, it won't be a problem, I think. When I started out with them, they had one HUGE salad/veggie bowl to share and I just KNEW one was getting more than the other. Clearly they are going to need to have everything separated, and that's OK. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.