Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets How to tell if its any good?

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave
Hi
Ok so we here in NZ don't get the good pellets from Oxbow or the other brands from the US and our local stuff in the pet stores is no good. A couple of us have been looking around for anything good with no luck. Well I have just found someone that is making their own guinea pig food and it looks good. Timothy hay based with some meadow grasses and lucerne. I have asked for a more detailed list of whats in it but how can I check if its a good food or not? What should I look out for? Any help would be great as I am really hoping that this could be the answer!
Thanks

Hi
Ok so we here in NZ don't get the good pellets from Oxbow or the other brands from the US and our local stuff in the pet stores is no good. A couple of us have been looking around for anything good with no luck. Well I have just found someone that is making their own guinea pig food and it looks good. Timothy hay based with some meadow grasses and lucerne. I have asked for a more detailed list of whats in it but how can I check if its a good food or not? What should I look out for? Any help would be great as I am really hoping that this could be the answer!
Thanks

Once they give you the ingredients, post them on here and someone should be able to tell you if it's good or not.

thanks I will post as soon as I get something back from the lady, so far the Nutritional overview...
Fibre - 29%
Protein - 15%
Fat – 1%
She does have another alfalfa (lucerne) based pellets for young guineas so she does atleast have some idea as to what guinea pigs need. Thanks for the link I will read up some more on this......

ok so just heard back from the lady and she has told me that it does not have anything bad like corn, wheat or seeds, only hay and some herbs. Would this be a suitable diet to feed? Do they need extra vitamins and stuff added to make a good pellet or can it just be hay and some herbs?
Thanks

Pellets can contain additives, preservatives and even things like limestone that are harmful to guinea pigs. One of the big differences between guinea pig pellets and pellets for other small animals is the added vitamin C. I think you'd be taking a risk by feeding something to your guinea pigs without knowing if they're safe and under what conditions they're made.

That sounds kind of sketchy when they lady only says "Just hay and some herbs". She didn't list you any specific herbs? Also, pellets need ingredients to helps bind them into shape. Surely there is more than "just some hay and some herbs". If she's refusing to give you a full ingredient label, I wouldn't buy from her.

hi yeah not sure what to make of it. The pellets in the photo does not look like normal pellets. She knows about guinea lynx and says she has researched it. Timothy hay is brought in from the US. I am still trying to get more info.
Thanks

Hi
Ok so I got a reply from the lady and this is what she sent me;

"Hi, This mix has neither corn or wheat. Wheat is considered a no-no in whole form as piggies can choke on it. In my opinion if they shouldn't eat it in its natural form they probably shouldn't eat it in an unnatural form. That's backed up by the fact that wheat has a seriously inverted Ca:p ratio meaning it can cause calcium leaching and kidney/bladder stones."

"Hi, I mix this up myself from a recipe I developed after loads of research so yes made in NZ. All the ingredients, bar the timothy part, come from NZ."

" Sorry it took me so long to get back to you I couldn't find my notes. Anyway, because this is not a formulated feed the following mineral & vitamin percentages are based on the limited scientific study into the nutrient averages of the different ingredients. Vitamins and minerals I have are; Ca=.55% P=.30% Ca:p=1.8:1 Mg=.27% K=1.67% Zn=33mg Fe=150mg VitA=1.4%, the only 'additive' is natural bentonite as a binder. This food is based on the piggies nutritional requirements & common feed materials, I did look at the Oxbow & KMS feeds to get an idea of ingredients & such but my food only contains whole natural ingredients so NO soy hulls, wheat middlings, molasses, oils, synthetic vitamins or minerals."

So does this look ok or should I rather not buy it? I don't have a big range to choose from in anyway!!
Thanks

Hi
Ok so I got a reply from the lady and this is what she sent me;

"Hi, This mix has neither corn or wheat. Wheat is considered a no-no in whole form as piggies can choke on it. In my opinion if they shouldn't eat it in its natural form they probably shouldn't eat it in an unnatural form. That's backed up by the fact that wheat has a seriously inverted Ca:p ratio meaning it can cause calcium leaching and kidney/bladder stones."

"Hi, I mix this up myself from a recipe I developed after loads of research so yes made in NZ. All the ingredients, bar the timothy part, come from NZ."

" Sorry it took me so long to get back to you I couldn't find my notes. Anyway, because this is not a formulated feed the following mineral & vitamin percentages are based on the limited scientific study into the nutrient averages of the different ingredients. Vitamins and minerals I have are; Ca=.55% P=.30% Ca:p=1.8:1 Mg=.27% K=1.67% Zn=33mg Fe=150mg VitA=1.4%, the only 'additive' is natural bentonite as a binder. This food is based on the piggies nutritional requirements & common feed materials, I did look at the Oxbow & KMS feeds to get an idea of ingredients & such but my food only contains whole natural ingredients so NO soy hulls, wheat middlings, molasses, oils, synthetic vitamins or minerals."

So does this look ok or should I rather not buy it? I don't have a big range to choose from in anyway!!
Thanks

Does anyone know if this is looking like a good food? All natural with timothy hay looks better than the horrid rabbit/guinea pig mix feed that we get from the pet stores here......only thing I am wondering about is if this food will have all the vitamins that they need? I am feeding fresh veggies with green and yellow peppers so that should cover the vitamin C? But what about the other vitamins they need?

Hiya Skylar,

Thanks for all your questions on my auction, it's really great to see people who actually care about what their pets are eating here in NZ, most people just blindly follow whatever the non-qualified pet shop staff have to say regarding animal nutrition or just shop for the cheapest.

Anyway, I have had no issues with this food for my own guys, I have owned piggies off and on for about 10 years now and this food is based around what I have fed mine, after much research, their whole lives.

I have never fed my piggies pet shop pellets, they have always had a diet based around hay, hay and more hay, and high Vit C fruit and veg, and this has always met all their nutritional needs. Due to the fact that hay is quite bulky I have tried to find hay pellets and blocks, made from a variety of hays, to give them all the nutrients they need and also a variety of flavours and textures to play with and chomp on.

My two boys have this cute 'game' where one of them will take all the blocks out of the food bowl and hide them in his bed to eat later, and while he's doing that my younger boy will go and take them out of the bed and put them all back in the food bowl!

My food should well meet the nutritional needs of any piggy, though I have noted on the auction that is will need some high Vit C fruit or veg in addition this is only because Vitamin C degrades fairly quickly so even though I have included high Vitamin C herbs (rosehip, parsley, etc) in the mix I can't guarantee how long this will last, and in regards to Vitamin C, too much is better than not enough.

As you've said, this food is all natural, it contains no bad ingredients, nothing even potentially harmful, and looks, smells, and must taste much better than pet shop pellets (I've recently had a few 'rescue' piggies come into my care, they were being fed pet store rabbit pellets but when I offered them a choice of their usual food or my mix they went straight for the mix!).

I would say give it a try, it's not going to hurt them at all, and if they don't like it you can always go back to what you are currently feeding.

Hope this helps :)
Rebekah

My two boys have this cute 'game' where one of them will take all the blocks out of the food bowl and hide them in his bed to eat later, and while he's doing that my younger boy will go and take them out of the bed and put them all back in the food bowl!

:D That's hilarious! Can you share a video of them doing that? Please? :D

Unfortunately I don't have anything to take video with, or rather, my camera will take the video but my computer won't read the files (I thought technology was supposed to make our lives easier!?).

The funniest part is that their 'bed' is a tunnel with a polarfleece mattress in it so one is going in one side and hiding it where he thinks it's safe and as soon as he pulls his head out the other is going in the other side and pulling it out again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.