Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated How To Tell A Friend...

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hey again everyone,

So today I found out that one of my best friends had gotten a guinea pig. A first I was really happy for her, and asked if I could see pictures and such! After awhile she sent me about 50 pictures and I was about to cry. She said she had gotten him a day ago, for a pet store, and that he was a male and she didn't say what breed, but it looked like an abby. So I looked at the first pic, and it was him balanced on top of her head, and he look very scared. The second was of him in his pet store sized cage (About a 1x1 or 2x1 cage) It was very blurry, but I thought I saw something that looked like a wheel, and nothing that looked like hay. She is also not really the type to take care of something like a guinea pig. She tends to act like a little kid, going "Oh mommy can I have a guinea pig????? PLEASE I'll take such good care of it!!!!" Even though she is in high school, and then two days later she either 1. Gets bored of it and passes it along to one of her little sisters, or 2. It will die because she forgot to feed it. So I'm not even sure if it is still alive by now. I really don't want to sit back and have her pig live it's life in that small cage and such, or have it die, knowing I didn't do anything. But she is also VERY hard headed, so if I tell her what she is doing wrong and how she can fix it, she will most likely kick me out of her house, never be friends with me again, and nothing will change with the guinea pig, as she thinks that she is doing everything right. So I've been thinking about just going over to her house, and pretending to fall in love with her pig, and ask if I can have him, as I don't think it would be a huge thing for her to just let me have him, since she doesn't value animal's lives very high. The only problem is, I have a herd of soon to be 4 females, with no other rooms to put a boar in forever. I have another cage in the Cavy Cave (What I call my guinea pig room) But it doesn't have a top, so he can get out rather easy. And I also don't have money at the time to buy more cubes...So does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks,
Sara and the pigs

You could show her pretty pictures of C&C cages. Bring some hay and pellet to her and tell her yours love the brand you feed them. You can also make a list of your pigs favorite veggies and share it with her. Make it casual and don't make her feel that you think she's dong everything wrong.

Ok thanks for the advice! I guess I will just have to help her out a lot, and just give her free hay, pellets and such when I get my shipments, as her mom would most likely think it's crazy to buy so much for just a guinea pig. I'll assemble the pictures, and then call her after school, and ask if I can spend the night this weekend. I'll also ask her if she still has a guinea pig, just to make sure I don't go over there for nothing. xD *Crosses fingers* Lets hope this works!

You can wrap the hay, etc. kind of cute so it looks like a gift. Put the hay, pellets, etc. into clear bags with a bows tied around them and put them in a cute box or basket and call it a pig-warming gift. Type up a list of necessities for a happy pig; C & C cage, types of bedding, recommended pellets, etc. She might think it's cute and be more receptive. Sometimes getting your point across all comes down to the presentation. Good luck!

I think @pinky has it right! If you want to come across as welcoming and not oppressive or bossy, wrapping everything up in a "Welcome Home Pig" set would be adorable. Maybe you can even make him a cuddle sack or cozy cup so he can have something soft to sit in while he is in his pet store cage :)
Good luck! Keep us posted!

You could also tell her about the cool forum you found. Let her know she could share her photos and chat with cavy lovers. Hey you could even friend each other on the site. Once she sees for herself what piggy paradise should be then she can start making better decisions on her own without being 'preached' to. Tap into her inner designer, see if she has a creative streak that can be channeled to help keep her interest in her pigs. Creating a C&C cage is like home design and interior decorating all in one! And I agree Pinky has it right - presentation is everything. :) Good Luck with your friend.

You've gotten some good advice, and I think Pinky had a really good idea. Who doesn't like getting gifts.

@pinky - Absolutely! This is exactly what I would suggest. Nobody likes being told how to care for their pets/kids (believe me, I take care of people's pets for a living) but a welcome home basket would be great and very nonintrusive. You could even make it from your piggies and the favorite veggie list could be from them too :)

When we got my niece a pig, we had to buy everything and continue to do all KMS ordering and split it with her to ensure those piggies get the best care. I just ask her mom to give me money occasionally to cover some of the food/hay. As soon as I discovered fleece, we were out buying fleece and U-haul pads for her cage too...Sometimes, when I'm over I'll ask, so what kinds of veggies are piggies liking these days? I want to get an idea of what she's feeding without pushing too much.

You could also tell her about the cool forum you found. Let her know she could share her photos and chat with cavy lovers. Hey you could even friend each other on the site. Once she sees for herself what piggy paradise should be then she can start making better decisions on her own without being 'preached' to. Tap into her inner designer, see if she has a creative streak that can be channeled to help keep her interest in her pigs. Creating a C&C cage is like home design and interior decorating all in one! And I agree Pinky has it right - presentation is everything. :) Good Luck with your friend.

Oh I like the idea of directing her here, only problem is...She would most likely find this post xD

Ok so here is the plan I have set up. xD I'll be calling her Tuesday, since today I woke up late, just to chat and such, and set up a date to come over. I'll ask her is she still has her pig, and if she does, if I can give him some gifts that I think he would love. Then before I leave to her house, I'll pack up some KMS hay, and pellets. A head of romaine, a yellow pepper, and cilantro. I'll also bring pictures of my pigs and cage, so that I'm discreetly showing her what C&C cages are, and how cool they look, without just flat out saying "Your cage is too small you need a bigger one" I'll ask to see the pig and hold him, just so I can see a little more as to how he is taken care of. If I see anything that is really bad, I'll just kinda go "Awww he's so cute, can I have him?" Which I'm thinking she would say yes. I'll also let my mom know that it might be a possibility that I'll be bring home another pig. But as a last resort, if I see something like really wrong that needs attention ASAP, and she doesn't say I can have him, I'll talk to her mom about it, as her mom would most likely understand. So does this plan sound ok?

I think your plan sounds great! Where will you put the new pig (if you get him)? I know that you mentioned having an extra cage, but would you eventually neuter him and put him in with your girls or maybe foster him until you find a good home? You could also get him a buddy :) Good luck!

Oh I like the idea of directing her here, only problem is...She would most likely find this post xD

However, if you find she is receptive to learning, you can ask to have this thread removed. I am positive a Mod would love to delete this thread if it means someone would join to gather more information to better care for their new piggie.

I think your plan sounds great! Where will you put the new pig (if you get him)? I know that you mentioned having an extra cage, but would you eventually neuter him and put him in with your girls or maybe foster him until you find a good home? You could also get him a buddy :) Good luck!

Yeah that's only if worse comes to worse though, like if I see that there is some reason that I can't just teach her some stuff to take better care of him. I have a small cage that I can use for the time being, and order some grids for his own cage near my herd (As long as he doesn't have anything that can spread to them) Then after awhile I will most likely neuter him and see if he gets along with the herd, and if not, I will foster him, and try to find him a new home that will take great care of him :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.