Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals How to sex a guinea pig

betty

Cavy Slave
I'm getting ready to adopt and doing a lot of research.

Is it possible to sex a guinea pig without a vet visit? I want to make sure I adopt two of the same sex.

I don't recommend buying (petco, petsmart, etc) they usually missex the guinea pigs and will keep them all together and not know. Shelters and rescues are usually better at it as they are ran by people who actually know something about guinea pigs.

I have been looking at rescues and shelters but really want two babies. There are some up for adoption on craiglist, but still considering all options. This probably sounds really bad, but I don't want to adopt an older pair and have them pass away in a few years - I get extremely attached and want them for a longer time. I have adopted a many sick/troubled animals including cats and dogs in the past so don't give me a hard time!!!

Why not volunteer to foster for a shelter, and tell them you'd like to have a pregnant guinea pig. Then you could keep two of the babies, and not support the pet store/breeding mill cycle. Or ask the rescues and shelters to notify you when two babies come in -- I guarantee they'll have some before long, even if they don't have any now.

Why not volunteer to foster for a shelter, and tell them you'd like to have a pregnant guinea pig. Then you could keep two of the babies, and not support the pet store/breeding mill cycle. Or ask the rescues and shelters to notify you when two babies come in -- I guarantee they'll have some before long, even if they don't have any now.

That is a good idea and I absolutely will not buy babies, but will adopt not matter what.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.