Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How to Protect My Piggy from Dog?

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
Well, My family is getting a dog soon, and I was wondering how to protect my piggy. At first, I thought I could just close the door every time I come through there, But I'm not the only one that uses the room, and various things might happen so that I forget. I'm also not particularly keen on the idea that a shoe rack is the only thing standing between an 85 pound dog and my piggy, unless shoe racks are way sturdier than I thought. Help?

What type of cage do you have? Is it open or closed? Is it on the floor or on a stand?

I have a 75 lb hound dog. I don't have my piggies yet, but I built an 18 in stand for the cage, so that she can't reach into the cage. I still have mine open, but may need to close it up a bit depending on how my dog reacts when the piggies come home.

Put a good lid on the cage, put it up on a stand, zip-tie, zip-tie, zip-tie, and keep the door closed when you can't supervise. We don't know what kind of pray drive your dog might have or if he/she can be trained to stay out of the room/leave the cage alone.

What type of cage do you have? Is it open or closed? Is it on the floor or on a stand?

I have a 75 lb hound dog. I don't have my piggies yet, but I built an 18 in stand for the cage, so that she can't reach into the cage. I still have mine open, but may need to close it up a bit depending on how my dog reacts when the piggies come home.

I have a 2x6 open-top C&C cage, and it's on the floor :sorry:.

I have a 2x6 open-top C&C cage, and it's on the floor :sorry:.

As Ash-Ro060708 said, you definitely need a stand. You can either built one out of grids, purchase a folding/card/banquet table of some sort, or use a sheet of 4x8 plywood and stick some 2x2 lets on it.

A lid would be a good idea as well, if you know you can't guarentee the dog will stay out of the room. You just never know what may happen in a split second!

My pooch is a hound dog, so I know in her breeding she has a pretty high prey drive even though she's never displayed it. She's a big sweetheart, but that's not going to be enough for me to trust her.

Oh and zip-ties will definitely increase the integrity of your cage. Just the connectors tend to be flimsy.

Last edited:
I would try to put the cage on a stand. The dog may be more likely to leave them alone if he isn't looking down at them and they are looking up at him. Training the dog to stay out of the room is a great idea! Also teaching the dog that the guinea pigs are part of his pack will help. And you may not have to worry. Your dog might end up caring less about the guinea pigs. My dog certainly doesn't care about them other than when they start squeaking for dinner he also gets fed. Little alarm clocks.

For an 85-pound dog, I'd definitely put the cage up on a table or stand AND put a lid on it.

If you put the cage on a table, make sure it's strapped down. I've read some dogs were able to pull the cage down from the table.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.