Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

how to pick a healthy piggy

Casey

Cavy Slave
How do I pick a healty one? Im going Sunday to get one!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Casey said:
How do I pick a healty one? Im going Sunday to get one!

Are you going to a pet store or a rescue?

If your plans are to go to a pet store I strongly recommend you don't. Please read this link first. Be sure to read the entire page. https://cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You'll have a hard time getting a healthy, correctly sexed and non pregnant one if you're going to a pet store. Please adopt from a shelter or rescue.

Christys GPS

Cavy Slave
I think there is no way to pick a healthy piggie, I check their teeth, fur for lice and mites, check their hair and skin for scabs, expessically around the butt area, thats where mites are the most, you can see teeth marks and nail scrathes, check their ears for discharge. Also I check their nails and feet, also as a precautionary you should treat for mites any way.

But you should adopt a piggie instead of buying a pet store,

Read these links,

www.cavyspirit.com

www.guinealynx.com

Peaches

Cavy Slave
I agree. Most rescues, at least the all piggie ones, have a more vested interest in making sure piggies are healthy. Mine quarantine hers to ensure everything was ok before ashe would allow me to adopt. It was hard to wait but a healthy pig is worth waiting for.

Try to find a shelter. You will feel much better about your choice in the future. Also you mention getting a piggie. If you can, adopt 2. They are happier when they have a friend with them Just make sure they are same sex or neutered. Rescues are better at this as well. Many people here have found sexes mixed in pet stores or gotten preggie ones by buying instead of adopting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.