Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps How to Make Out of Grid(s)?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Ginger's birthday is 4/27, and I am going to adding a level to her cage. To do this, I'll need a ramp. So my question is: how do you make a ramp out of a grid(s)? What do you use for the inside/part she steps on? Thanks for the help. :)

Take two grids, Bend a grid on the 2nd rows on grid to make sides. when you have done this for both grids then zip tie them together add some cardboard on top of ramp zip tie it to grid and cover with towel, fleece, indoor outdoor carpet.

Okay sorry, Will take picture of mine okay
brb

Okay thanks:) Also, what else could I use instead of carpet? I don't have that...lol

[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Make Out of Grid(s)?[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Make Out of Grid(s)?[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Make Out of Grid(s)?[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Make Out of Grid(s)?

Blanket, towel, Pillow case anything for traction purpose

So the stuff goes on top of the grids? And how do you connect the ramp to the upper level?

You put the card board on top of grids (in the picture its just grids) and covering. The blue stuff is coroplast just to add support to ramp. You could put cardboard on back of ramp too. Attach with zip ties

How do I bend grids without snapping them? Also, how much do I bend them? Like, where? Halfway? And finally, how do I make it sturdy so it doesn't fall when she walks on it?

How to the zip-tied grids seem to hold up under the weight of the piggies going up and down? Any give?

How do I bend grids without snapping them? Also, how much do I bend them? Like, where? Halfway? And finally, how do I make it sturdy so it doesn't fall when she walks on it?

Use the picture as a guide as to where to bend them. How to bend them I am not really sure because I have never bent the wire ones. I would start by laying them on the floor place a towel over the part your not bending and slowly start pulling the grid toward you. The towel will protect your knees. I have heard some people have put them in the oven for a while to soften them.

How to the zip-tied grids seem to hold up under the weight of the piggies going up and down? Any give?

If you place cardboard or corplast on them for added support. when I used the ramp pictured it held up just fine.

When you bend the grids, make sure the welded point of the thick outside frame is not on the side.
Bend it with side the smaller wires are welded on, facing AWAY from you.

Here are some pictures, with step-by-step guide (click on the pics for more details).

If you have any lumber, put one on the grid and step on it instead of just using your shoes. It would make a straighter line where the grid is bent.

[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Make Out of Grid(s)?

I just tried doing this and the grid didn't even budge. Also, what side has the smaller wires or whatever?

You can see eaily where the wires are welded onto the frame. There are bumps around the outside edge. You want that side facing away from you.

I just wanted to say that when I was looking through the pictures that lissie posted, my brother comes up and goes, "Bented! Epic fail!" lol

Also, if you just go really slow and apply equal pressure to both sides, you should be alright.

I tried bending a grid, and it snapped. I don't get it. Maybe my dad can do it... also for the coro, how high are the sides in the pic?

How do you fit the coro into something like this? Do you just make a straight flat line?

[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Make Out of Grid(s)?[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Make Out of Grid(s)?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.