Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How to make liners go over the sides

pnp26

Cavy Slave
Okay so I have made a few piggy liners by using mattress pads and fleece, which I love. To make it so my piggy can't dig under I have made the whole liner oversized but it is thick to tuck over the sides of the Coroplast. What I want is the make a liner where the mattress pad fits the bottom of the cage but there is extra fleece to go over the sides of the cage. I am pretty good at sewing but I can't figure it out, thanks for any advice.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
You could cut the mattress pad to size of the bottom of the cage (be very careful and precise, though) and sew it to the fleece (which should be oversized to fit over the edges). You wouldn't do the turn-right-side-out thing, you would just sew it the way it would look when finished. The edges will be raw but that's the only way I can think of.

I saw a picture here of liners that went over the side. I'll see if I can find it.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Here it is:

Member Sirene explains how she thinks one would sew it:

Ok, it looks like she made the cage liner to fit the bottom first. So she sewed the 3 layers together and ended up with a thick pad, like a comforter.

Then, I think this is probably how she made the sides:

1. She cut 2 pieces 12 inches wide (to go up the 6-inch sides and come back down) and 26 inches long, and 2 pieces 12 inches wide and 40 inches long.

2. She sewed all 4 pieces together along the 12-inch sides, so she ended up with a gigantic long strip of fleece 12 inches wide and 134 inches long. This is the fleece for the sides and it will look sort of like a square.

3. Then you PIN the bottom edge of that long square-shaped strip along the outside edges of your "comforter". It should match up exactly and make sort of a fabric "box" with 12-inch-tall sides and a thick, padded base. Once you've pinned it, you'll see the shape of it very clearly, and it will make sense to you. Sew where you pinned (I'd sew it along the outside edge, so your seams will be touching the coroplast and it will look neater).

4. I'm then assuming you can just drop the whole thing into the cage and fold down the 12-inch sides over the coroplast. She doesn't mention using elastic or anything. I think you will need to kind of tweak it into shape once it's on, as she says she made it slightly smaller than the coroplast, but it should fit very snugly.

The person who made it explained how she made it:

I measured the inside of the coroplast ,cut 3 pieces the same size of each of the following:
top layer:Fleece
middle layer:zorb (from wazoodle fabrics online)
bottom layer: procare fabric (vinyl barrier fabric also from wazoodle)
Sew all 3 layers together
Then cut 4 pieces of fleece for the sides in the dimensions of the coroplast box:
My coroplast is about 27x41,so I cut 2 pieces of fleece 26 inches ,and 2 pieces 40 inches long and sew them together at the short ends.The reason I made them smaller than the dimensions of the box is because I wanted them to fit snugly and fleece stretches well.The pieces are 12 tall,to be folded over on a 6" deep coroplast box.Then sew the sides onto the bottom and that's it.
Annab7 actually wrote an awesome tutorial on a bedspread ,it's a great concept,she will email it to people.

This is a diagram of a bedspread from Annab7 that might help you: Picture 2 of 29 from Bedspread Pics. You would use your own measurements. You would cut out the fleece that would cover the coroplast and bring the corners together, sew right sides of the corners together. Does that make sense?

pnp26

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.