Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How to layer cage w/fleece? Pictures?

MikkiBee

Cavy Slave
HI, I don't have guinea pigs yet but I am getting two soon (either near the end of this month or the beginning of next month) I am doing research on how I should do everything and decided to use fleece as bedding for the C&C cage I'm going to make, but I haven't seen any pictures of the layers people use ( ex. fleece&towels, fleece&u-haul pads etc) so can anyone post pictures of their different layers and how they put them down? Like what people mean when they say "two layers of towels" and stuff. Thanks! :eek:ptimist:

HI, I don't have guinea pigs yet but I am getting two soon (either near the end of this month or the beginning of next month) I am doing research on how I should do everything and decided to use fleece as bedding for the C&C cage I'm going to make, but I haven't seen any pictures of the layers people use ( ex. fleece&towels, fleece&u-haul pads etc) so can anyone post pictures of their different layers and how they put them down? Like what people mean when they say "two layers of towels" and stuff. Thanks! :eek:ptimist:

I'm in your same situation, and would also like some examples~ I watched a youtube video last night, but it showed a woman with fleece, then 2 bath towels, and 2 large incontinence bed pads. I dont mind the idea of fleece and the bed pads, but the idea of having to wash pish soaked bath towels on a weekly basis doesn't appeal to me at all :/ If there is another way around that I'd like to know~

the good thing about towels is they are reusable, it's not only cheaper but better for the environment. You are going to have the wash the fleece anyway, whats the difference in throwing a couple of towels in too? I change the fleece/towels in my cage every five to six days, its not an overly smelly/gross job. I just roll the fleece up and shake it out into the garden, I brush the excess hair and hay off it then chuck it in the wash with the towels. It's a much better option that newspaper/shavings/hay etc.

I use fleece and a heavy bath towel. The bath towel will cover the cage from side to side but is short by 8 inches so I put an incontinence pad in the bare area. Anyway, I sewed the fleece to the towel and it works well.

the good thing about towels is they are reusable, it's not only cheaper but better for the environment. You are going to have the wash the fleece anyway, whats the difference in throwing a couple of towels in too? I change the fleece/towels in my cage every five to six days, its not an overly smelly/gross job. I just roll the fleece up and shake it out into the garden, I brush the excess hair and hay off it then chuck it in the wash with the towels. It's a much better option that newspaper/shavings/hay etc.

I think I was put off by the video I seen since she used about 3 bath towels, plus about 5 hand towels underneath the fleece (and she only had 2 pigs), I thought that was a tad much xD I'll get used to it I guess once I get into a routine~

I use fleece and a heavy bath towel. The bath towel will cover the cage from side to side but is short by 8 inches so I put an incontinence pad in the bare area. Anyway, I sewed the fleece to the towel and it works well.

I'd never have thought to have sewed the towel to the fleece, sounds like a plan! The off putting image of tonnes of towels and fleece in the wash seems to have vanished xD

Last edited:
I use 1 thick towel and 1 layer of fleece.
It works quite well, although probably more expensive that using the removal blankets.
I haven't sewn the towels onto the fleece because I have 1 fleece and 2 towels at the moment, and that would mean I'd have to wait for the towel which takes ages to dry, but if I had 2 fleeces I would probably do that :)

I prefer it to traditional bedding. It's not so bad washing damp towels and shaking out dirty fleeces. It's easer to clean and looks a whole lot nicer. It's also safer.

Last edited:
I use 1 thick towel and 1 layer of fleece.
It works quite well, although probably more expensive that using the removal blankets.
I haven't sewn the towels onto the fleece because I have 1 fleece and 2 towels at the moment, and that would mean I'd have to wait for the towel which takes ages to dry, but if I had 2 fleeces I would probably do that :)

You can get large fleeces from Primark for a couple of quid, so that's where imma be heading in the next day or two to stock up :D

You can get large fleeces from Primark for a couple of quid, so that's where imma be heading in the next day or two to stock up :D
I get my fleece from a fabric shop, but that's useful to know too :)

Jeez.......no wonder you're confused! It really can be SO simple!

Take a look at my cage and my description will make more sense:

(broken link removed)

Take the time to sew some cage liners and it will pay off big-time in ease of cage maintenance. The liners are two layers of fleece with a layer of uHaul pads sewn in the middle. If you don't know what uHaul pads are, do a search on the forum and you'll see lots of posts.

Under the fleece liners I put down puppy pads (puppy training pads/incontinence pads) that I buy at a discount outlet. That's it......no messy towels, newspaper, etc. The pads are vacuumed with a hand vac a couple of times a day or shaken outside. I change the cage about every 4-7 days (determined by the "sniff test"), wipe the cage down with a vinegar/water mixture, and resupply the cage.

Before washing, you can use whatever method works for you to remove hair: sticky tape rollers, vacuum, shake outside, and many of us also brush with a fur-be-gone brush. Remove all the hair you can before washing, and either hang to dry or put in a dryer with NO fabric softener sheets (they coat the fibers and prevent the fleece from wicking away the urine.)

A must-have for a piggy room is an air purifier. My kids are in my home office where I spend a great deal of time, and also where my clothes closets are located. I have an uber sensitive nose and don't want the slightest hint of odour of cavy in the room.

IMHO, the more time you spend in the planning stages, the happier you will be and the easier the maintenance of your cage. :cheerful:

Do you replace the uHaul pads within the liners?

Fleece gave my guinea pig a UTI...so I don't use it anymore.

I find that highly unlikely. I've been using fleece for years and have never had a pig get a UTI from it. Your pig either had it before using it, got it from lack of husbandry or other reasons.

Sorry to seem harsh but this is a peeve of mine. Fleece does not give any medical issues to pigs.

Thanks!!!! This is EXACTLY what I wanted :D

This is how I do it now (except I use U-haul pads!)...if you can sew, I highly recommend you make liners. They are so much easier. I'm working on mine but I am a super slow sewer.

Was your fleece wicking properly? It's very important to strip the fleece after buying it.

Fleece keeps the top layer very dry, which in turn makes it more hygienic. I feel my fleece with my hand daily for moisture checks. Since they pee more heavily in their hay area and hiding spots, I double up on absorbency by using "tidy pads". Like a mini fleece liner. Has an absorbent middle and everything

After all this, I've ordered a huge amount of MediBed and MegaZorb, more expensive, but less washing~

I didn't read the entire thread, but for my 3X3 C&C cage, I use a bath towel on each half, and a piece of fleece large enough to cover the exposed Coroplast sides... I personally think that U-Haul pads are a waste of money, but maybe I saw them listed at the wrong price. If you're not sure about washing, I shake out any hair, poops, and anything else by my compost pile. Then I put it all in the wash with a bit of hypoallergenic, earth friendly detergent and 1/2 cup of vinegar.

I didn't read the entire thread, but for my 3X3 C&C cage, I use a bath towel on each half, and a piece of fleece large enough to cover the exposed Coroplast sides... I personally think that U-Haul pads are a waste of money, but maybe I saw them listed at the wrong price. If you're not sure about washing, I shake out any hair, poops, and anything else by my compost pile. Then I put it all in the wash with a bit of hypoallergenic, earth friendly detergent and 1/2 cup of vinegar.

How much did you see the uhaul pads listed at? The ones we buy are $7.95.
(broken link removed)

At my local store, they were about $19 a piece. I know that they were the right ones that I was looking at... I just looked on the website, finally, and they were much less. So tomorrow, I'm going to order a few, since they were the right price. Yay! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.