Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage How to keep veggies/fruit fresh

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello there,

I recently tried buying frozen veg and fruit for my guinea pigs, because I try to give them a good verity of stuff, but here you can buy like one carrot, you have to buy like a group of 5.And lots of veggies and fruits can only be given once a week, so if I have a package of 5 or so, and I can only give them once a week they go bad. So I was wonder, is it ok to give them frozen veg and fruit along with some fresh, or is there some way I could keep the food fresh longer? Any tips would help, as my guinea pigs really love there fruit and veg.

Thanks,

Sara, And The Pigs

well my family pretty much eat the same snacks as our piggies lol, so we tend to buy fresh at least once a week. But we do use those green bags and they are GREAT at keeping veggies adn fruit fresh. They tend to stay fresh for a week or two longer then normal. We keep all their different greens in them.

What are you buying that's going bad so fast? I shop every two weeks for my piggies. Moisture and certain food combos will spoil your food faster. Here are some tips:

Leafy greens/herbs like lettuce, cabbage, cilantro, etc:
Get a cheap salad spinner at Target for about $9. When you buy leafy greens, make sure you spin all the excess water out before putting the away in the fridge. After you've spun them, repackage the greens into ziplock bags, making sure to leave a small gap in the opening (or poke holes) for the greens to breathe. Don't bother washing them until you're ready to serve them to the piggies or eat them yourself.

Same goes for other veggies:
While I don't suggest trying to give carrots, celery, or any other veggies a go in the spinner, check the packaging. If there's a large amount of condensation or moisture pooling in the bag, place the veggies in a new ziplock. I've had carrots last me a month this way.

Apples and other fruit:
Ever heard the phrase "One bad apple ruins the barrel"? That's because apples (and some other fruit) emit ethylene, a chemical that speeds up the ripening process. Refrigerate your apples but store them away from everything else. If you place an apple next to your spinach, for example, your spinach is going to go bad twice as fast.

Here's an interesting article about produce and how to store it. You may want to print out the pictures for future reference: (broken link removed)
As the poster above me said, you'll waste less veggies if you eat some of them yourself. They're good for you too! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.