Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur How to keep the fur to a minimum on the fleece in cage

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
After a week our fleece is covered in hair from our 2 guineas. We've never brushed them, but is there a way to limit the amount of hair they lose on the fleece? Do you brush/comb them to collect hair, does it work? I just wish we didn't have so much hair on the fleece.

Petting or brushing your pigs daily removes hair. Long haired pigs hate to be brushed--it pulls on their hair and causes pain and discomfort.

You can also brush the hair off of the fleece before washing.

I alway shake my piggies fleece blanket outside hard before washing them..

I will buy a brush or comb for them I think. what kind of brush do you use for the fleece before washing? Nothing works that I've tried, it is really ground in there, most of the hair is not just laying there to be swept up. It's frustrating.

I alway shake my piggies fleece blanket outside hard before washing them..

This is exactly what I"m doing, but it only gets out 10-15% of the ground in hair. I also take it from the wash, go outside and re shake before going to the dryer.

Brush and pet the guineas daily
Use a lint roller and roll out the hair
Shake it out before washing
Use a vacume and vacume out the hair

That is what I do and it works really well for me.

Brush and pet the guineas daily
Use a lint roller and roll out the hair
Shake it out before washing
Use a vacume and vacume out the hair

That is what I do and it works really well for me.

That seems like overkill - I LIKE IT!! :)

Petting? Man, 2 years later and our little ladies can't stand to be picked up and/or petted. We didn't do it enough the first 6 months we had them (got them when they were 7wks old) and they still cring at being petted for the most part and then they shake afterwards like we covered them in nasty motor oil or something.

Thanks for the tips, will try the lint roller along with everything. The hair really gets into the fleece though so it's hard to roll/brush or vaccum it up though.

yes it is. Fleece is a pain in the butt but way worth it. :)

I use a baby brush they seem to love it

I an Aby and a Texel. I use a baby brush on both, and baby comb on the Texel. (a baby comb does not have sharp teeth) I keep Maya's Texel hair trimmed so that she doesn't mat and she really enjoys being brushed and combed.

Brushing does not have to be irritating or painful for cavies. Do it very gently when you first begin brushing them.......use about the same amount of pressure/force as you would on a young baby's hair. When I first began brushing the Aby, he was a mess. ;) He couldn't decide if it was irritating, pleasurable, or if it tickled. He now enjoys the process, and good thing as he sheds far more than the Texel.

Even though long haired pigs don't like it, should brushing still be done even if their hair isn't matted?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.