Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How to keep pigs warm during winter?

amanita1

Cavy Slave
I am currently living with an aunt that has made me keep the pigs' cage outside. The thing is, it's almost winter here and I'm very worried about them. She says she's allergic to the pigs' smell and won't listen to any of my explanations on why they should be inside.
I have been sneaking them in at night to my room, bc temps are around 3-4 Cº at night, but as I have a fairly big C&C cage, I bring them indoors in a travel cage (obviously smaller, and I don't think they're feeling comfortable in there, but it's better than the cold outside), the thing is is there any way to keep the cage insulated or warm at night? They are against a corner wall so there would be only two sides to cover.
So please if you're just gonna reply with "Don't keep pigs outside it's bad for them" trust me, I know, but I really can't do anything about it (She says it's the pigs outside in the backyard or I am gonna have to find a place to live, which is currently impossible)

kirt15

Cavy Slave
Hey,

I have my boys inside and what I do is put some heavy blankets over their cage to keep the warmth in because our house is freezing especially at night and this seems to work. I also make sure to put in lots of hay for them to bury themselves in and snuggle in and they love that. I don't have these but I've seen those snuggle cups and snuggle things on this website and they look cosy maybe you might be able to get one of them to help keep them warm. I hope this helps.

Kirsten

Aleks

Cavy Slave
She's allergic to the pigs' smell? Is she sure she isn't allergic to the hay you're giving them?
Guinea pig allergies are kind of rare. You could always try getting them a different kind of long strand grass hay and see if her allergies go away.

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
Personally I would try to make their bed area in their outdoor hutch as warm as possible. Stuffing it full of hay is supposed to work quite well, and you could put a hot water bottle on the bottom of the bed area and then lay two layers of fleece over and then all the hay, which could keep things quite warm. Snuggle sacks are GREAT, mine are like little warm wheatbags when they've been snuggling in one of those. You could try to make your own if you can't buy one, there are a few instructions around on the internet, just make sure you find a way to keep the entrance open otherwise they won't understand they're supposed to go inside. Finally, make sure the bedding area is raised off the ground, so that the frost and cold from the ground doesn't seep into their bedding area. The fact that you have more than one gives them a better chance at staying warm too, they can cuddle up to each other and share warmth. Try to pick a warmer night for their first night outside so that the temperature change isn't as much of a shock, and keep a super close eye on them for signs of illness, as going from indoor to outdoor pigs in winter is pretty hard on their systems.

What kind of cage are they in outside? Is it a wooden hutch or?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would buy a good size storage tote, make sure its deep. Cut a door into it and place it into the cage. The the door facing one of the walls, so you need to make sure they have room to get to it. Take 4 pillow cases and make hay pillows a few inches thick( make them flat and use bedding hay, much cheaper ). You will want to line the inside with lots of hay and soft bedding on top( fleece ). If you can get a sheet of wood that walls off that side except for a door way, that would be nice too. Place the hay pillows on top and around the 3 sides, just encase, put the top on first. Cover that part of the cage and beyond with a water proof tarp. The tote is basically a warm litter box, so it will need to be changed regularly. That or ask if you can keep them in the basement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.