Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions How to Introduce Two New Males to a Single Male?

PiggyPassion

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody! It's been quite some time, no?
Arthur has been doing SO well lately - he's growing such a luscious coat and is getting so big! I've been trying to convince my parents to allow one or two new males for him, seeing as he's the only one I have.. :weepy:
They're on the verge of saying yes, which I'm uberly happy about! I'm still praying and keeping my fingers crossed, though, as there hasn't been a 100% answer yet! :eek:ptimist:
I'd like to be prepared, though, for the introductions. Arthur's is almost four months old now, and I'm just curious as to what the appropriate age of the other cavies should be? I've heard and read that baby pigs tend to get along better with adults - is that true? If I end up getting two piggies, should I get one full-grown adult and one baby?
Much gratitude will go towards those who help me out - thanks! ❤️

You are correct that older pigs tend to get along better with younger pigs. You can adopt a pair of boars of any age, but one of the benefits of adopting older boars would be that they could take better to your young guy who is on the verge of adolescence. Likewise, if you adopt two boars who are older and have gone through adolescence, then life will likely be much calmer in the cage when Arthur starts going through adolescence.

How big is your cage, and how big do you plan on it being with 3 boars? Best of luck! Are you planning to adopt from a rescue?

For proper introduction advice, see halfway down the following link: Guinea Pigs Social Life

Sorry for the late response!

My cage is a 2x3, and I plan on it being a 2x5 if I get the other two. I am planning to adopt from a rescue most definitely. My parents still have not given me the official "OK", yet, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, ahah!

Thank you for your help - hopefully it will come in handy! :cheerful:

Thanks for planning to adopt! :)

That size cage could work with 3 boars, though moodier boars could very well require more space. I have found that expanding to a 3 grid wide cage helped my herd of 4 get along extremely well. Open hideys such as step stools are great for multiple pigs as well.

Ah, no problem! I feel so bad for those piggies in pet stores, but nevertheless, I would NEVER want to support the store's methods and theories for keeping critters. :ashamed:

I will definitely consider the bigger cage, I really don't want to have fighting pigs! :eye-poppi Thanks for you're help; again, hopefully it will come in handy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.