Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior how to introduce a new pig

emeliz87

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :)

I adopted a single piggie this past December who is now 10 months old. I would have gotten him a friend at the time but he was alone at the store. I began feeling so bad for him not having a buddy that I decided to adopt another. I was looking for a pig that was older than my current, but haven't had much luck. Today I adopted a 6-7 week old baby boy. Did I make a big mistake with the age difference? I have my oldest pig in a large C&C cage, and the baby in a "starter" cage beside of it. I let my oldest pig out for some floor time and sort of introduced the baby to him while still holding him. My oldest pig sniffed him over pretty good, they were squealing at each other a bit and then the big one sort of pounced on the baby. I pulled him close to me so he wasn't hurt at all, but I don't know whether my big pig was trying to play or trying to attack the baby.

What is the best way to introduce them? I'm very afraid to let them get floor time together now. I know it can be a slow process, but am I going about it the wrong way? I'm trying to get all of the advice I can, so bear with me as i'm still trying to figure out a lot about pigs :)

And also...

What is the problem with getting a pig from a pet store? Don't they need love too?

What is the problem with getting a pig from a pet store? Don't they need love too?

Welcome! many people here have gotten their pigs from pet stores, so you aren't alone. The whole "against pet store pigs" thing has to do with the following:
1. Pet store pigs are often sick, and their devoted owners get hit with vast vet bills trying to make them well.
2. Pet stores, vets, and even here-people have trouble sexing pigs, so when you think you're getting a male, you wind up with a pregnant female. Or vice versa.
3. Pregnant pigs=babies. What are you going to do with 2-4 babies? Pregnancy is very dangerous for cavies, so, more vet bills, and maybe your beloved pig and/or the babies die. Heartbreaking.
4. Buying a pet store pig encourages the store to buy more pigs to keep the terribly undersized cage full, then they order from the "breeder", and meanwhile, healthy pigs in rescues and shelters sit waiting for a home. BTW, these "breeders"? It's the same as puppy mill dogs-they are puppy mill pigs.
5. If your pig is sick, and you take it back to the store, most likely they'll tell you to pick out another one, and your original sick pig gets killed because it's too expensive to treat. Or they shuffle you around, and then tell you your pig died while waiting to see the vet.

There are so many horror stories here about pet store pigs. Sometimes it works out, but so many times it doesn't. Why breed more pigs (or cats or dogs) when there are so many already waiting for homes? I'm sure more people will add things I've forgotten to mention.

As far as intros are concerned, please read here:Guinea Pigs Social Life

I hope you find some useful info here. I know I have, and my pigs are healthier and happier for it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.