Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss How to help a guinea pig through loss?

SkywardPhie

Cavy Slave
Pearl is going to the vet's later today. And by looking at the situation we will probably have to put her down. Of course if there are other option's we will take them. But I need to be prepared mentally. I've lost two pig's in the past year and losing a third is going to be hard. But I also need to know how to help Pippa through loss. If Pearl is put down, Then it's going to take it's toll on pippa tremendously. So do you have any tip's on help her through what might be about to happen?

I've been through this with other pets, but not guinea pigs. LOTS of attention seems to help. Just as they snuggle with you when you are sad, that's what they want when they are sad. Does she have any other friends? I always watch their diet to decrease sugar, and give more exercise, too.

I'm sorry your piggie is sick...:(

I'm sorry to hear you've lost piggies this year :( I know the thought with dogs is to let them be there when they pass so they can smell their deceased friend...I have no idea if that is the case with guinea pigs or not.

We lost a very new little guy a couple months ago and just gave his brother tons of attention and lap time, he did ok but is very happy to have a new friend I think. Good thoughts for you today!

Lots and lots of hugs coming from my boys and I for you today. I am so, so sorry for your potential loss. Losing a piggy is seriously the hardest thing.. They're just so little and you want to help them so much. I found that when I lost Oliver a little over a month ago, Scout really seemed to enjoy being cuddled. I usually watch TV at night with a piggy on my lap, but I made sure to do everything with Scout. I even took him to the grocery store with me (it's half a block down the road and he stayed in the car). It was more for my grieving than for his, as he didn't seem to be tremendously upset, even though he and Ollie were bonded.

Good luck and I wish you the best. You know you always have support here ❤️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.