Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss How to help a guinea pig gain weight?

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Hi guys, My new rescue piggy came to me very malnourished. I've had her for a week and she hasn't seemed to gain that much. she only weighs 850 grams and is visibly thin. Is there any way to help her gain weight? I know she is eating because I hand feed my trio to make sure each pig gets enough and also I have 3 separate pellet bowls and 2 hay racks to make sure everyone is getting access to everything. Is there a a way to help her gain weight in a healthy way?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just feed her good quality hay, 1/8 of good quality pellets (KMS Hayloft or the new Oxbow Cavy Cuisine formulation with the limestone/calcium carbonate), and good veggies.

How much did she gain in a week? 850 grams is not unusual for an adult pig. And if she's a young adult, she'll look skinny. Pigs generally stop growing bigger and start growing fatter around 10-12 months of age.

Adult pigs gain slowly, so there's nothing special you need to do to speed it up.

It sounds like you're feeding unlimited pellets. Adult pigs should be limited to no more than 1/8 cup per pig per day, or you'll run the risk of bladder stones.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
I don't know how much she gained over the week because In the beginning of the week I was weighing her right after she ate veggies so those numbers wer all in accurate I also don't know how old she is because she was a rescue they think that she is around 1 or 2 years old [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] and I'm not feeding unlimited pellets because my Guinea pigs ( the two I've had for 2 years already) already have bladder problems . As a trio they get 3/8 of a cup of Kms hayloft pellets divided into 3 bowls they also have unlimited orchard grass and 2nd cutting Timothy hay and get a large variety of veggies every day

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's good. Sounds like the diet is right, so I'd just be patient.

Weigh her once a week, early in the morning before breakfast. After the first 3-4 weeks, you'll have a good idea of how much weight she's gaining, if any.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Sorry to ask a question here, but how do you make sure your pigs are eating the right amount? I don't feed unlimited pellets, but I always end up having to do more than 1/8 because Odeta will dump out the bowls or eat the other pigs' shares if I don't. (And yes, I've tried getting heavier bowls, but she always finds a way unless the bowl is absurdly huge.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use a hard plastic soap dish with a flared bottom. The pigs can't dump it.

Here are some bowls that are pretty new on the market that are dump-proof. I know several people who use them and like them: http://www.mystaybowl.com/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.