Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition How to get Vit C when pig doesn't eat green peppers or drops?

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I have been reading the vitamin c posts and am confused on what to do. I know they need Vitamin C but how to give it to her?

I bought the drops, not to put in her water, but to put on her food or frop in her mouth. She doesn't like it on anything and it is hard to try to get it in her mouth. She ate all the apple EXCEPT for the one with the drop of Vit C on it! lol

She doesn't like green peppers, or at least hasn't eaten them at all.

How do I make sure she has enough Vit C? Would she even eat the solid pills? I have my own human Vit C chewables, should I give her a bit of that?

vit c is in pellets? would she eat red peppers??

What about the other colors? When I first introduced my pigs to bell peppers, they would only eat the yellow kind. Now they eat them all in rotation. But they do taste quite different.

It can also take time, so continue to offer different colored peppers. You can split an appropriate sized human pure vitamin c tablet & sprinkle it over her lettuce & see if you have more luck with that.

Last edited:
vit c is in pellets? would she eat red peppers??

Red Peppers aren't able to be fed daily-- They are too sugary-- so I wouldn't use them for the Vitamin C.

Use Yellow Bell Peppers, or at least try them. They have enough Vitamin C in them to supply a Piggy daily. And they can be fed each day.

1/2 of a Yellow Bell Pepper each day would be able to give the required amount of Vit. C to each Pig.

;)

While red bell pepper is quite high in sugar, it's also much higher in vitamin C where one slice is enough for the average pig. Meaning it's a small amount where you can substitute weekly fruits & carrots for red bell pepper every 2-3 days. It can also be a good "starter color" for some pigs who don't like the more bitter colors at first.

Red Peppers aren't able to be fed daily-- They are too sugary-- so I wouldn't use them for the Vitamin C.

Use Yellow Bell Peppers, or at least try them. They have enough Vitamin C in them to supply a Piggy daily. And they can be fed each day.

1/2 of a Yellow Bell Pepper each day would be able to give the required amount of Vit. C to each Pig.

;)

Ok, I'll give that a try. And after reading HannibalLecter, I will try a bit of red as well. She is pickier than my human 5 year old, lol.

I give her KMS Hayloft pellets so I think there may be some VitC in that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.