Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables How to get un-husked corn.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I've heard a few people talking about how they want to feed there piggys corn, but the ones in most stores, have been removed of the husk and silk which most, including my, piggys love. So I thought I would post a few ways of how to easily get corn with the husks and silk, and your piggys will surely thank you! :D

Way 1: Produce stands are a good way to find corn with the husk and silk still on, but some people don't have any produce stands near them, if not try way 2. :)

Way 2: Stores get there corn with the husk and silk still on. When it gets to the store, they take it off so that when people get home to cook it, they don't have to go threw the time and mess of taking it all off. So all you have to do, is find someone who works in produce, and ask them, if the next time they get a shipment, they can set aside some that has not been husked for you. You can also ask just for some husk and silk, of which they would give to you for free, seeing as it would all just go in a trash bin.

Hope this helps! It has worked well for me. :D

I'd be careful with getting the husks from the produce section at the grocery store. You would have to find out how long the husks had been discarded. My grocery store had a barrel next to their corn so people could toss the husks. I asked permission then grabbed a handful of them. Within a day, they were moldy. Thankfully, I had not, at that point, offered the husks to my pigs.

I'd be careful with getting the husks from the produce section at the grocery store. You would have to find out how long the husks had been discarded. My grocery store had a barrel next to their corn so people could toss the husks. I asked permission then grabbed a handful of them. Within a day, they were moldy. Thankfully, I had not, at that point, offered the husks to my pigs.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I trust the place where I get mine from, and have never had a problem with it, seeing as I go to pick some up right after they get a shipment, so I know it's fresh. Though, if you question how fresh it is, it would be a good idea to ask them how long ago it arrived, and where it came from. If it come from very far, it would have been sitting in a truck for days, and may not be very fresh.

I get husks and silks out of the garbage by the corn bin at my grocery store all the time, and have never had a problem with mold. And I've had good luck asking the produce manager to save a box of the husks and silks when they're shucking corn.

I think you just have to be careful not to pick stuff that's been contaminated by people throwing other food in on top of the husks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.