Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise How To Get My Pig To Move!

spritrain180

Cavy Slave
Here I am again, posting yet another question about my boar.
This one has gone answered for years, but i could never get a good answer.

My 5 year old boar, Henry, has always been lazy.
When I would have him out of the cage and set him down on the floor he'll just stand there. I've tried tickling him ( which ends up making him angry), giveing him celery, or spreading it around him so he had to " find" it. But nope, he'll just stand there. I also have him an extra large play pen, because i read somewhere that a playpen could make them feel more secure. But, nope, he either hid in his igloo or stood there.

I want him to be the happy-go-lucky, popcorning guinea pig he should be for floor time.
Is there anything I can do to get him more active and less weary for floortime?

Put lots of tunnels he can run through.

Put lots of tunnels he can run through.
He'll just hide in them. Then it's hard to get him to come out. He also doesn't move much in the cage unless veggies are present.
Which that doen't motivate him outside of the cage either

My pigs aren't too hott on floor time either. They like outdoor time tho! If he's happy, I'd say don't worry, and just keep offering floor time!

My pigs aren't too hott on floor time either. They like outdoor time tho! If he's happy, I'd say don't worry, and just keep offering floor time!

My pig loved outdoor time the first two times.
But now something has scared him senseless.
He wouldn't eat or anything, just try his best to get into my lap( which, he's so pudgy he can't make it, so I have to help him)

My pig loved outdoor time the first two times.
But now something has scared him senseless.
He wouldn't eat or anything, just try his best to get into my lap( which, he's so pudgy he can't make it, so I have to help him)
Haha awww that means you are his "safe" zone...that is too adorable! Maybe he caught scent of a dog or hawk and was frightened. I can't wait to have a screened in area to let mine run while I sit outside...

Haha awww that means you are his "safe" zone...that is too adorable! Maybe he caught scent of a dog or hawk and was frightened. I can't wait to have a screened in area to let mine run while I sit outside...
I do have a dog i bring down on with him ( i have a steep, uphill driveway) and i let her enjoy out door time on a tie out

then sit with Henry on the other side.
He's used to my dog, so he shouldn't be scared, he was the first times i brought him, which both included my dog.

Since i live in a heavily forrested area, I bet the birds have started to frighten him. Maybe he just realized " Oh Crap, there birds out here!"

And it is cute when he tries to get into my lap. If i have my legs together and knees up, and he's under my legs, he will headbutt my thighs till he can squeeze his head through,then he stands there, all the fur on his face pulled back and he's looking up at me like he's sayign " Hold me mama!" hes so cute when he does it.

I also have a cage i can stake outside and i have a top/bottom for it. Maybe i'll try that sometime

He's moving! i don't know what has finally clicked but now he strutting around and happily eating the hay he drops out of his cage, now i have a vacum, in a way.

Does he live with another pig, or is he alone in his cage? If he doesn't have one, get him a cagemate!

i've been begging and begging for mom to allow me to get anther pig for him! He's so calm.
He has a cagemate for 7 days, the lil black-and-white in my avatar, the brown and white is Henry, the other is Hank

What happened to his cagemate...?

A friend would definitely encourage him to move around. I think that getting him a friend is the best advice.

I'm sorry you lost little Mooy.

Sorry to hear that. But whenever you get around to finding him another friend, you should let them both out for floor time together. When I let Kwee loose on the floor, she will stay in the same spot I put her down for an hour and never move, but when Quee gets let loose, she hits the ground running. When they're both on the floor, Quee does her usual exploring and wandering around the apartment, and Kwee follows her around.

I'm sorry to hear about Mooy. But I have to agree with the others. When Broccoli had Carrot as a cagemate, they'd love to run and explore together but now Carrot has passed Broccoli is less energetic than he was.
I'm glad you're piggie likes to run around now though :)
A few days ago I was wondering why Brocs wasn't running around in his large playpen, so i put him on the room carpet and he loved it! he seems to prefer not having bars around him. I guess all pigs like different things!

A cage mate would do wonders for getting him more active.

When you do decide to get one, please adopt instead of buying.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.