Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How to Feed Piggies

sarahdarby17

Cavy Slave
I have two young boars, should they have pellets all the time and hay all the time or should I start doing the morning and night feeding of pellets? And when should they get veggies/fruit? I know that veggies are better than fruit but I don't want them to get too fat :(

how young are they? if under 6 months they can have unlimited pellets but once 6 months reduce pellets back to 1/8 to 1/4 cup per pig per day. hay should be available to them 24/7 its very important that they always have it. feed them veggies now...their never to young..my Cera was nibbling lettuce the day she was born...and its one cup of veggies per pig per day...if they've never had veggies you may have to start slow and offer stuff one item at a time but they learn to love them. fruits should only be a once a week treat as they are high in sugar

I always give veggies:) and also one of them is around 25 weeks the other is around 13 weeks. They are on oxbow young guinea pig food also and always have unlimited Timothy hay.

And also how do I make sure each pig eats their own food when I give them 1/8 or 1/4 of a cup?

And also how do I make sure each pig eats their own food when I give them 1/8 or 1/4 of a cup?

Do you have 2 food bowls? That helps.

If they are hungry they will eat, trust me. Don't worry about them getting the exact amount of food they need-- It won't happen always-- just make sure you provide it and they will eat what they feel like eating.

I do have two food bowls :) I'll probably just do that.

One pig is right around 6 months but the other is around 3 :/ should I just give unlimited pellets to the baby? Or should I just start doing the feeding?

If you have two pigs that age, you could just put in half a cup of pellets. Assuming they each eat about the same amount, that's 1/4 cup per pig, which is ok for the older one. When the younger is six months or so, you could cut back to 1/8 cup each.

Okay Thankyou!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.