Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How to feed adult and young guinea pig who lives in the same cage?

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
So my older guinea pig will be turning 6 month old in April, but my younger one will only be 4 month. I will be switching from alfalfa based pellets to timothy and I know I should be supplementing the younger one with veggies that are high in calcium. So I would like to know exactly how much of the high-calcium-vegetables should I be giving to my younger one? For example, If I decide to give her parsley, how much do I give her each time? and how often? (twice a day? once a day? every other day?). I know there has been a thread on this but I have not managed to find the exact portion I should be giving to the younger one. Also, should I buy some alfalfa hay for the younger one and let her eat it everyday during laptime? or is that not necessary?
Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to reading all your opinions! :)

P.S. I went to shop for some bird toys for my guinea pig today but I was reluctant to buy it due to the colored wood blocks on them. Is it okay for them to chew on those artificial colored wood blocks??

Last edited:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
GOOD MORNING chubbypiggies !! lol

Well my dear lets see if I can give you the perfect site that Ly&pigs has spent long hours doing a veggie chart and she went even further and set up a daily sample menu for an entire week here is her wonderful link that she worked long hours to acheive this fantastic veggie chart depictiing the her chart on veggies and want vitimains are needed for you to have a healthy happy confident piggie she also has a daily sample menu for the whole week ! Here is Ly whp labored long hours ,making this for us all here it is http://www.guineapigcages/cpm/forum////giemenus.html
I cup of veggies a day time and a cup of veggies in the evening time. A good
https://www.guineapigcages.com/// forum/...gie-menus.html balance of nutriction to start them with is 2 different types of lettuces, few sprigs of cilantro, about 1/2 cup of sliced green pepper , 2 o3 small grape tomatoe sliced in half, then maybe 2 -3 blueberries ( I slice those in half too) should be a good start. i myself pretty much go by her daily veggie planner . So check out that link

Last edited by a moderator:

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey thanks for the reply! but it's not what I'm really looking for, I am already follow her sample menus and stuff like that. What I wanna know is how much extra calcium would the younger guinea pig need daily? Thanks anyways !

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. Also, I noticed the links I gave you do not work. I really wish I knew what it was that I was doing wrong, for lately when I have been trying to help others and give them links it hasn't been working and I really don't know why ! Sorry !

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
dont worry about it ! thanks for trying to help! <3

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hi Chubbypiggies, The link that I gave you and failed, is this. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

I am very upset with myself, because many of the past links that I have given out to try to point people in the right direction usually did not work !! ARRGGH. I am still learning how to use the computer. I feel terrible about this. However, I am finally learning how to copy and paste a link. I feel so stupid, and terribly embarrassed. Anyway, if you are following Ly&Pigs wonderful charts and daily sample menu's, then your younger piggie will be getting all the vitamin C that she requires, o.k. ? :)

You mentioned how much parsley you should be giving her, and Ly's charts and such show that 4-6 sprigs of parsley is good for two piggies, but should only be given 2-4 times a week, because it is very high in calcium and oxalic acid which can bind with calcium to form stones. Cilantro is much better and can be given every day. My girls favorite veggie is parsley, so I try to be very careful not to give them too much. If you follow Ly's daily menu, and you are giving quality pellets and quality hay 24/7 they should be just fine. I will give you my 2 cents worth on a couple other questions you posted.

1. The bird type colored blocks you mentioned, might be "o.k." but I am not completely sure, and if it were me, I would not bother with those. Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you can at all possible, NOT purchase anything from a pet store, ( which supports there business) I would NOT. I have done this, but I am learning as I go along too, that given how awful the usual ( not every single pet store) behind the scenes treatment and how they use and abuse these poor creatures is not something I want to support !!

I have gotten toys and such ( stupid me) from pet stores myself, and highly regret it. There are many online places that one can buy these things ahead of time, and not support the on-going astrocities that happen all the time, in most pet stores to these sweet innocent animals. There are some places online that you can get various items from, like this one: drsfostersmith.com that you can check out. That is where I got my large "gnawsome hut" which my girls chew on a regular basis, and absolutely love ! I did check this gnawsome hut out, and found it is perfectly safe for them to use. In an emergency, I also have gotten Oxbow hay and pellets from a petstupid store though. I am not proud of this. The important thing is to be prepared, and not let yourself run out.

2. Children's colored blocks, are usually covered with a chemical, a sealant of some kind which would most likely NOT be safe for them to chew on.

Are you handy with wood ? For getting them at least ONE wooden hidey house, I think is a good idea, though many have that "hole" on the side which some have said their piggies have gotten stuck in. I hope to make my own wooden hidey come summer, for I love working with wood myself. I am no pro though, but I have made a few things with wood in the past. ( before I had piggies)

3. If you purchase quality hay and pellets, their teeth naturally need to grind these foods down, which keeps their teeth in good shape, as well as the very important aid in keeping their digestive tract healthy.

May I ask what kind of pellets and hay you are currently using ? Oxbow, Kleenmama and Sweet-meadow are the best to purchase online from. Their pellets for cavies under 6 mos. has vitamin C already in it. I do not think you need to worry about feeding alfalfa hay is Vitamin C is these pellets or if you are feeding a regular veggie diet as Ly has listed. Although it was not necessary, for awhile I did give them a bluegrass/alfalfa hay mix, along with offering 2cnd or 3rd cut timothy hay. Oxbow's cavy performance cuisine pellets are alfalfa based, so as you can surmise....it is not necessary to supplement their diet further with alfalfa.

Hoped I helped, for real, this time ! Warm wishes and good luck piggie pal !! :cheerful:

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
You can give the baby parsley during lap time for the extra calcium.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So my older guinea pig will be turning 6 month old in April, but my younger one will only be 4 month. I will be switching from alfalfa based pellets to timothy and I know I should be supplementing the younger one with veggies that are high in calcium. So I would like to know exactly how much of the high-calcium-vegetables should I be giving to my younger one? For example, If I decide to give her parsley, how much do I give her each time? and how often? (twice a day? once a day? every other day?). I know there has been a thread on this but I have not managed to find the exact portion I should be giving to the younger one. Also, should I buy some alfalfa hay for the younger one and let her eat it everyday during laptime? or is that not necessary?
Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to reading all your opinions! :)

P.S. I went to shop for some bird toys for my guinea pig today but I was reluctant to buy it due to the colored wood blocks on them. Is it okay for them to chew on those artificial colored wood blocks??
The answer is to give parsley or other high calcium veggies every couple of days. You can give 2-3 sprigs of parsley every other day. You'd feed a timothy based pellet and grass hay.

As far a colored blocks, I'd avoid them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.