Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How to Determine Age?

zoenanai

Cavy Slave
I'm curious how I could properly estimate my two male pigs ages. They are both young and I got them at two different pet stores. The first I was told was about 10 wks (making him 13 wks now) and the second was said to be about 7.5 wks (making him about 10.5 wks). They are both VERY close in size and weight. They were at the vet on Friday and Silas weighed 13 oz (369 g) and Connor 12.5 oz (354 g). I've been browsing guinea pig weight charts online to see if there is something that can give me a decent idea, but if weight in piggies varies greatly, is it pointless? According to one male weight chart, they should be about 5-6 wks (https://www.guinealynx.info/images/Ferraretto_m.png). I tried to measure their length today while my daughter was holding them and in a normal sitting position they are both about 7". Looking at another size chart that would make them 6-8 wks. Does this sound right? If so, they were much younger than what I was told when we got them. But learning what I have about pet stores, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Here are some pictures of when we first got them and now.

This is Connor, one week ago, playing with a regular brown lunch bag filled with hay (Silas is actually inside the bag!) [GuineaPigCages.com] How to Determine Age?

Silas coming out of the hay bag, one week ago.[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Determine Age?

Silas when we first got him. The diameter of the tunnel is about 4".
[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Determine Age?

Connor when we got him.
[GuineaPigCages.com] How to Determine Age?

If anyone has any ideas or a good way to estimate age, please let me know. Thanks! :)

You won't really be able to determine an exact age for you pigs; the ranges you have come up with are about as accurate as one could hope to be. I have had fosters born at my house that weighed near their weights in the range of 7 to 10 weeks old, if memory serves (no access to weight chart at work).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.