Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) How to... Convince your parents???!!

rachel4360

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie here and last thursday I just got my first little piggie :love: YAYYYY! I know that you are not supposed to have a guinea pig without a friend so I was wondering how did you convince your parents into having a second one? I truly want my little girl to be happy:)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
What are their reasons for not wanting a second one?

rachel4360

Cavy Slave
First of all when i was younger like 10 years ago I had a hamster and didn't really take care of it... and so the cage smelled bad. And second of all I have cats but only one of them comes in my room and she doesn't even pay attention to my piggie. I am trying to convince them and I just want a few more tips from somebody else.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Having two guinea pigs will not smell any more than one, it will not be much more expensive, and the pigs will be way happier.

rachel4360

Cavy Slave
I know thats what I explained like 30 times. :sad:

6GPS7

Cavy Slave
I'm a mom, so I'll answer this from the "mom" perspective. ;-) I hope that's helpful... It sounds like your parents aren't convinced yet that you can be responsible for another. So, the best way to convince them will be to show them with actions. Keep that cage sparkling, do all the food and water by yourself, prove that you are able to handle the responsibility. Give it a couple weeks and ask again. As far as the cat goes, you could cat-proof it either with the wire closet shelving or a grid lid.

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Do all of your chores without being told and get good grades! This is what I did to get my piggies and I know how hard it is!!!!!!!!! Just be very responsible and respect your parents. It took me a month of good grades,behavior, and chores to get my 2 girls! But I know how hard it can be. (I'm 14 btw)

rachel4360

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much to both of you! Your tips were very helpful and I will put them to practice:)

CeceliaThePig

Cavy Slave
I convinced my mother by sitting her down and telling her about all the research I had done on the subject, I mentioned the reasons why I needed another piggie and the opinions for people on this forum, she agreed after that [emoji6] I wish you the best of luck!

rachel4360

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone those were very useful tips! Stay tuned for the next few weeks to see if I'll have a friend for my little girl. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Having two guinea pigs will not smell any more than one, it will not be much more expensive, and the pigs will be way happier.

Two piggies do smell more than one. You have twice the pee and poop.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Two piggies do smell more than one. You have twice the pee and poop.

As long as you stay on top of cleaning, there shouldn't be a smell. I personally didn't notice a difference in smell between 1 pig and 2 pigs.

Last edited:

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You are telling a teen that two pigs do not smell any more than one. Now you are saying it doesn't if you keep up on cleaning. That is two different things, its hard enough to get some kids to keep one clean, now add another to that, it is more work, don't act like its nothing because it is.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
I never said that two pigs are not more work, I simply said that if the cage is kept clean, two would not smell more.

nazira03

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
As long as you stay on top of cleaning, there shouldn't be a smell. I personally didn't notice a difference in smell between 1 pig and 2 pigs.

I agree, As long as you clean often, there should very little smell from the cage, if any. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.