Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty How old are boars when they hit puberty?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Poor little Oliver can't catch a break. First a URI, then some sort of muscle injury to his elbow and meds for that. Now his cagemate who is the same age as he is is trying to mount him every few minutes. Normally I wouldn't flip out but Oliver has been sick and is sore from the elbow injury.

How old are boars when they start puberty? They're both about 5 1/2 weeks old and have been practicing rumblestrutting but never any mounting. Should I separate them? We did have Oliver x-rayed and nothing is broken they think it's just a muscle strain. But being chased across the cage limping to be manhandled by his cage mate has got to be rough on him.

Very early. There have been reports of male pigs impregnating a female at about three and a half weeks. But the really rambunctious stuff does't usually start until several weeks later.

Can you put a divider in the cage so that Oliver can get some rest until his elbow is better? That would keep them close to each other and hopefully forestall the need for reintroductions later, but would give him time to rest.

Thats a good idea. I might have to do that. I hate to separate but he needs rest

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.