Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? How often to feed

ivanski

Cavy Slave
I have usually feed my 2 male guinea pigs twice a day, morning and evening. However they eat like there is no tomorrow and wont pace themselves, so I am worried about having to feed them once a day on occasion, like when I cant make it home or when I have to get a relative to feed them.

Is it OK to feed them once a day, like what I would normally feed them in the 2 feeding times? How does everyone do it?

Thanks

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
They should always have hay and pellets available. Veggies are fed twice a day. They do eat up their veggies right away. If your out for the day on occasion feeding them their veggies once a day would be okay because they should also have their hay and pellets to eat if they get hungry. They are grazers and eat all through out the day and night.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Hay should be available 24/7.

If they are over 6 months old, pellets should be limited to 1/8 - 1/4 cups per pig per day. Preferably split into 2 meals. If they finish them, no refills for them.

A cup of veggies per pig per day. Also split into two meals. They will be fine if you're late or missed a meal, as long as they have hay.

ivanski

Cavy Slave
Yes they always have plenty of hay and pellets, id leave them twice as much hay as normal. My only concern was that they would eat all the veggies at once and then go hungry. They eat like they've never eaten before when the food arrives! Almost like piranhas devouring their food.
Its good to know it would be OK to just feed them the whole portion the once if need be. Puts my mind at rest. Thanks :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you ask my pigs, they're always hungry ;)
While they still have lettuce in their mouth, if they hear the fridge open, they'll ask for more!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.