Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming How often do you ... ?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
how often do you brush your pig?
how often do you bathe your pigs?
how often do you clean the grease gland?
how often do you trim nails?
how often do you clean anal sacs?
how often do you clean the penis?

obviously the last two are for the males haha! I'm trying to workout a time table to do all of this for my male and female guinea pig that I will be adopting. I'm especially curious about the last two, and bathing.
ANY help will be appreciated so much. There really isn't a lot of info on this stuff.

Once a day for my longer hairs/ every other for the shorter. [I actually think my shorter haired boys shed more]

Like twice a year? Only if they really start to stink or are too messy to spot clean

As needed. Get a damp washcloth and wipe away.

Every other week, sometimes even once a month?

As needed, if you see build-up or notice they aren't pooping as much. [Though once they get older, the times will most likely increase due to decrease in activity level.]

Same as anal sac, just to them together.

@jawasaurus you're able to keep their grease gland in check with just a wet washcloth? That's incredible!

how often do you brush your pig?

- I don't. I know it sounds bad, but me petting them gets off more loose hair than the baby brush ever did. Their coats are lovely, clean and if I ever felt they needed to be brushed I would do it.
how often do you bathe your pigs?
- I give my silie (long hair) I rinse out with plain warm water every few months to keep his fur nice. otherwise, the piggies get shampoo'd maybe twice a year
how often do you clean the grease gland?
- This varies. I seem to be cleaning two of my pig's grease glands monthly...I'm not sure if that is unusual or not. I need to use oil and soap, but only spot clean that area. Don't want to dry out the rest of their skin.
how often do you trim nails?
- once or twice a month. One of my pigs does have very deep black nails on one foot that I have to trim weekly in order to keep track of growth. I'm always scared of nicking his quick on that foot.
how often do you clean anal sacs?
- weekly on my two older pigs. I don't really *need* to, but I like keeping their nether regions tidy.
how often do you clean the penis?
- I've been popping out their peepees more regularly now, but they never seem to need cleaning. I do clean the outside skin weekly with mineral oil

@MissJean, I probably wipe that area more than I should so it doesn't really get bad or greasy, but other than that, we seem to have pretty comparable time frames for cleanings.

Thanks everyone :) So I've gathered they really don't need baths often at all, grease gland is about once a month, depending on the pigs. I will probably do anal/penis checks on my male once a week to get him used to it, and to make sure everything is clean and neat. Then I'll brush both every day even though they're short haired. I will weigh them once a week, and probably trim nails twice a month depending how fast they grow. I want them to be relatively short, depending where the quick sits! I'm not sure what colour nails mine are going to have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.