Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How often do you feed veggies?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I am just curious! I started this thread to feed my curiosity.

I am trying to figure out if most people feed veggies once a day, twice a day, or more?

How often do you feed and about how much do you feed per piggie?

I know you are supposed to feed at least one cup of food once a day! I am just curious to see if people feed once or twice a day!

I will start: I feed about 1.5 cups of veggies per piggie twice a day!

I feed romaine lettuce, bell peppers, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, carrots (one small carrot per day or less), spring mix, and the occasional piece of fruit!

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
Mine get veggies just in the morning.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's better to give veggies at least 2 times per day, even 3 times per day would be ok. Cavies are constant foragers so that helps their foraging. The minimum is one cup each but more is ok as long as you feed certain things sparingly and in accordance with the nutrition charts or with gl's diet guidelines.

I give my girls veggies late morning and evening and usually give them an extra veggie treat in the afternoon.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I feed them their veggies once a day, at 5pm. They get their pellets when I wake up in the morning (any time between 8-11...depends whether I have to start work early or not), veggies at 5. Hay Rack is filled whenever they start to run low.

They do get treats during the day, corn husk and watermelon atm (it's hot here so the watermelon is nice and cool for them)

Edit: They get about 1.5/2 cups of veggies per day, 3-4 different types of lettuce, 1 baby carrot per cage (1/3 to 1/2 per pig), green capsicum is standard with treats rotated, corn husk, watermelon, apple, parsley, coriander, cucumber, Grape Tomatoes etc

Last edited:

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
My girls (4) get fed twice a day. Their diet includes cos and hydroponic lettuce, spring mix (just discovered this recently and I love it, so do the girls), carrots, 3 kinds of capsicum, mint, basil, parsley, cucumber, bok choy, cherry tomatoes, occasionally watermelon (they love the rind).

I provide 1 cup of oxbows cavy cuisine a day, unlimited oaten hay and supplemental oxbows timothy hay (very expensive, though I am working out if I have enough money to provide unlimited amounts of timothy hay but at $16.50 + GST for a 15oz bag it doesnt come cheap).

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
I feel like I feed my 2 piggies all day long, but I'm sure they'd disagree with me.

I usually start with veggies early in the morning (hard to say now much that is in cups but it's a good desert plate full of lettuce, peppers, coriander, 2 baby carrots and various other veggies/herbs).

Then I re-fill the hay rack and give them up to 1/8 cup of Cavy Performance.

Early afternoon I fill the hay rack again.

Early evening another heap of veggies, only this time they get tomatoes instead of carrots, and something that is on the "not daily" list.

Fill up the pellet bowl with up to 1/8 cup Cavy Cuisine (basically there's always something in their bowl).

Fill up the hayrack before I go to bed.

When I'm not feeding the piggies I feed my kids (who actually do a lot of the piggie duty), my hubby and the dog.

Occasionally I eat too.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Twice a day. Half the time they get mostly fresh grass and forages. The other half is lettuces, cilantro, etc. It really depends on what the garden is doing. They seem to like grass the most. Right now I have a lot of dandelion, and they absolutely love it as well. I wish I could feed them dandelion every day! I grew some other stuff, like mustard, chard,and radish. Unfortunately, they are not a big hit. Maybe it will grow on them.

I have a big shallow ceramic bowl. I make them a big salad, and the four of them surround the bowl and munch. One of them usually jumps in the bowl. It is really cute.

I also throw in a treat most days, like a carrot piece, raisin, orange slice, etc. They get all the timothy hay/pellets they want. I may need to cut back the pellets, but I have not seen any weight problems yet.

leilee

Cavy Slave
HI! I feed my babes twice a day. They have unlimited hay, and unlimited pellets right now as they are only 12 wks old. In the morning they get spring mix, a baby carrot, cuc's, cilantro, bell pepper. In the eve. they get spring mix with a little spinach mixed in, parsley or kale, more cuc,. I usually give them about a cup of veggies each time. They don't like tomatos, so their treat is usually a grape. They don't like oranges much either, I havn't tried watermelon yet...I can't wait to see if they like it!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
My boys get veggies in the AM, midafternoon, PM and as a snack when all of the "kids" got to bed and I'd better not forget, if you know what I mean. They also have unlimited hay and access to a small amount of pellets all day. They don't care for fruit, which is okay, and they only get 2 little carrots each per day. They do get lots of lettuces (no iceberg), parsley, dandylion greens and bell peppers, with occassional kale .

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
and they only get 2 little carrots each per day.
Baby carrots or what? The max is one small/medium sized baby carrot each per day. They are high in A and oxalic acid and that's why they have to be very limited. Otherwise you face the risk of liver and/or kidney problems due to high levels of A.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
They are tiny, pinky sized carrots. I just split them up (give x 2) to add excitment to their day.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
For breakfast-they get lettuce(I alternate between romaine, red and green leaf), 1/2 cherry tomato each, 1/2 baby carrot each, cut up bell pepper, and alternate daily between cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, or grean bean.
They have KM hay available at all times and I also feed them Oxbow pellets.

When I get home from work they usually have floor time at least every other day, sometimes daily, and get to eat their cilantro and parsley then. I alternate them since parsley is not good every day. Or they have to eat it in their cage if I'm not able to let them have floor time.

For supper-they have more lettuce, 1/2 cherry tomato, 1/2 baby carrot, cut up bell pepper and if that is the day they get fruit, I will give them either apple slices or grapes. Some nights I will surprise them with corn husks and they go crazy over them.

webjetter

Cavy Slave
My 2 girlies get 1 cup of veggies for breakfast, a tiny snack at lunch, 1 cup of veggies at dinnertime and 1/4 cup at bedtime. So that's veggies 3 1/2 times per day. They're getting chubby (especially PJ) so they get a little less than 1/8 cup of pellets for breakfast and then the same amount again at bedtime. And of course they get unlimited hay. These critters would eat 24/7 if I put food in front of them 24/7 ... they're little vacuum cleaners! But I love 'em!!

luvsgiraffes

Cavy Slave
I'm SO glad I read this thread. I've only been giving my pigies 1/4-1/2 C each of veggies per day as was told to me by the people who I got them from. They are the owners of a small animal store and seem to be very knowledgable about piggies. Hmm... well now I guess that I will feed them 1/2 C in the morning and 1/2 C up at night. They also get 1/8C each of pellets.

Oh and I usually feed 1/2 a baby carrot in the morning and 1/4C lettuce and 1/4 C parsely or cilantro (usually rotate them)
And then the pellets at night

Thanks so much for sharing everyone!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
Before I found this link about suggested menus and what veggies are recommended daily or bi-weekly and so forth, I was feeding my boys so wrong. I was giving too many fruits and carrots and not enough lettuce and veggies. But thanks to Ly and all the great people that's listed advice my boys are eating much better and healthier!:love:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
My pigs get fed twice a day. In the morning they get lettuce - red leaf, green leaf, romaine or endive or a mix of two. Two heads feed all nine piggies.

In the evening I refill their pellets and hay and they also get either parsley or cilantro, a green pepper, a baby carrot per pig, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber. Also about every other day they get either broccoli or kale, another colored pepper (yellow, orange, or red) and some fruit like an apple, an orange, kiwi fruit, or every once in a great while a banana.

Spoiled, would you say? :cheerful:

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
Myself or my girlfriend feed them in the morning. This is also when we restock there hay and pellets and refill there water. The second round of veggies comes sometime between when I get home and dinner. Sometimes I have to refill there hay by bedtime and if they weak like crazy ill give them a veggie treat.

mbator

Cavy Slave
I feed mine twice a day and if I am home during the day I go with three times on those days because they know I am home and they "call" me.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
My lot get veggies three times a day. Hard to say how much though!

Morning at about 12pm they get per pair, 2 baby carrots, 2 slices of cucumber, 3 slices of swede, 1 whole pepper and 1/2 stick of celery. With the occasional treat of melon, blueberries, strawberries and Mango.

Then in the evening about 7pm they get between a pair 3 1/2 cups of mixed lettuce which is usually endive, rosso (?), radichio(sp?) and lambslettuce, 5 sprigs of Mint, 10 springs of cilantro, 25grams of Rocket, 1/2 a butter head lettuce and recently they've been getting two green beans each.

Recenetly due to underweight pigs I have been feeding a third meal which now consists of 1 large cabbage leaf, 1 large Romaine leaf and one large Parsley sprig (and I mean large!) and another two green beans each.

Couple of times a week they get corn on the cob! All in all I would say each pig gets about 3cups of veg each. They also get fresh hay before bed time although the rack is always full. And they get unlimited pellets... I think I feed too much, but what am I surposed to do when they won't stop yanking at the bars!

Last edited: