Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How often do you feed them veggies?

deathnotronic

Cavy Slave
I ask this because Meatball's poops seem to be softer than usual. I read on Guinea Lynx that it might be a mild case of diarrhea and to stop feeding them veggies. I took out his veggies completely and they seem to be getting harder. He has an appointment tomorrow at 10:45AM. He loves his Oxbow hay and his pellets and is drinking water like he usually does. He popcorns like crazy when he gets more.

But back to my original question. Do you feed them veggies everyday or every other day?

John4216

Cavy Slave
I feed mine veggies twice a day plus they have unlimited timothy hay 24/7 as well as either orchard grass, brome, or oat hay as well. The veggies I give them are a wide variety so there is no one thing they are getting to much of. The staples that they get with every meal are lettuce and peppers. The rest is varied.

deathnotronic

Cavy Slave
See, I normally feed them three times a day. When I wake up, in the afternoon and before I go to bed. They usually always get carrots, red cabbage, kiwi, and lettuce.

Also, I check on his poops, and they're soft again!

Could it possibly be due to separating him from Chad and Brad? I mean, Chad and Meatball fight like no tomorrow and Meatball has made Chad bleed. He's on the second floor (a 2x3). He's got a ramp leading up to the second floor with a grid in front of it.

Ugh, I don't know what to do. I feel bad and want him to get better. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

John4216

Cavy Slave
See, I normally feed them three times a day. When I wake up, in the afternoon and before I go to bed. They usually always get carrots, red cabbage, kiwi, and lettuce.

Also, I check on his poops, and they're soft again!

Could it possibly be due to separating him from Chad and Brad? I mean, Chad and Meatball fight like no tomorrow and Meatball has made Chad bleed. He's on the second floor (a 2x3). He's got a ramp leading up to the second floor with a grid in front of it.

Ugh, I don't know what to do. I feel bad and want him to get better. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Actually I would change the diet. The red cabbage is not really something I would be giving them. Also on the lettuce make sure it is not Iceberg. I would try to mix up the diet a bit more. Here is an example of what I give mine:

Morning:

Romaine Lettuce
Baby Carrot
Piece of cucumber
Yellow bell pepper
Green Bean(s)
1 grape/cherry tomato

Evening:

Green Leaf lettuce
Green Bell pepper
Spring Mix
Cucumber piece
Treat - Fruit piece (every other day or so)

Other things I use are things like Endive, Kale, Various Spring Mixes, Peas, Dandelion Lion Greens (they love these more than anything), Fresh grass, parsley, various fruits. As for "soft" what exactly do you mean? Are they properly shaped ? Are they runny? My pigs are always "soft" until they dry.

You can go to these links that will help with feeding and ideas:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They usually always get carrots, red cabbage, kiwi, and lettuce.
Fruits need to be limited to twice a week, cabbage to once per week or once every other week, carrots are more of a treat food and should be limited to no more than one baby carrot per pig per day. This isn't a very good diet. If you are giving this combination to your pig 3 times per day, that explains the diarrhea.

Discontinue veggies for a day and up the amount of hay and see if that helps. If not, see a vet.

Please read the links that John gave you.