Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet How often do i need to take them to the vet?

cavylover123

Cavy Slave
I have had my guinea pigs for about 7 months. Since I have not had them a full year yet I was wondering how often they need to go to the vet. Once a year? Twice a year? Only if I think there might be a problem? I did about 4 hours worth of research before I got them but I don't remember this particular thing.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
Personally, I'd like to take mine once a year as an annual check up. If there is something wrong with them (guineas hide being sick or injured!) they should be taken to a vey asap. For some guineas, they may need a twice annual vet visit, maybe because of chronic issues, age, etc.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I wonder about scheduled check-ups as well. I've only been taking them when I suspect something is wrong. Granted, I tend to get freakishly paranoid easily. I took them to the vet (needlessly) about 4 times in the first month!

I weigh them weekly, and they're also right in my living room to help me detect changes in behavior.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I only take mine when I feel there is something wrong. Guinea pigs do not need regular vaccinations like a dog or cat (or ferret!) and it is very stressful to bring them to the vet if there is nothing wrong with them.

cavylover123

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the answers everyone! I will take them to the vet once a year and if I think there is a problem. I was also wondering how much a checkup would cost. Does it depend on the vet or is there like a average ammount?

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Check-up prices vary a lot depending on who you go to. I've seen 70-90 dollars around my area. The cheapest price I've seen from someone on these forums is 58 dollars.

You also need to choose a vet that has experience with rodents. It will say they do "exotics" on their building/website and you can inquire further. So even if you find somewhere really cheap, they may not know a thing about guineas. Sometimes it's worth paying more.

brigita

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the answers everyone! I will take them to the vet once a year and if I think there is a problem. I was also wondering how much a checkup would cost. Does it depend on the vet or is there like a average ammount?
25$ checkup/nail trim.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
25$ checkup/nail trim.

I stand corrected. This is the lowest vet check-up price I've ever seen period, in my entire life, even at a vet that does not do rodents. You are an incredibly lucky person!

brigita

Cavy Slave
I stand corrected. This is the lowest vet check-up price I've ever seen period, in my entire life, even at a vet that does not do rodents. You are an incredibly lucky person!
Good to know :) It's nice clinic in my neighborhood, but we got few of them, maybe that affects the price. I'm in NY Queens.

cavylover123

Cavy Slave
haha, ok thanks. I found a vet in my area using guineapigzone.com.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I usually recommend saving the money you would spend on regular check-ups for when something really serious happens. Just one vet visit can end up costing hundreds of dollars.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
here: almost 60 dollars for a non-cavy-savy vet, 80.00 for another non-cavy-savy vet, and 80.00 plus gas for the trip for a cavy-savy-vet. I've seen up to....120-200. if it is a checkup, usually cheap. nail trim is usually free or cheap depending on the person and such... exrays are 80.00 here for a non-cavy-savy-vet, and meds can make an 80.00 vet check turn into 200.00 minimum.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.