Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables How often daily do you feed veggies?

Crystal520

Cavy Slave
As of right now, my girls get a good size bowl full of veggies (green leaf lettuce, cilantro and every other day baby carrots or green pepper pieces) every day, once a day. But I was wondering if I need to feed them more? They also have a bowl full of timothy hay pellets at all times and a bunch of timothy hay as well. So am I feeding them enough veggies per day?

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
1 cup of veggies per pig.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I feed twice a day. 1/2 cup per pig at each feeding.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I do the same, approximately 1/2 cup in the morning, then again in the evening. With endless supply of hay.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Twice a day, at about 9 am and 5 pm, 1/2 cup per pig each time. They also get unlimited hay and 1/8 cup of pellets per pig per day (adult pigs should not have unlimited pellets).

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
As of right now, my girls get a good size bowl full of veggies (green leaf lettuce, cilantro and every other day baby carrots or green pepper pieces) every day, once a day. But I was wondering if I need to feed them more? They also have a bowl full of timothy hay pellets at all times and a bunch of timothy hay as well. So am I feeding them enough veggies per day?
Adult guinea pigs should have 1/8 cup of pellets per day, unlimited is too much.They should have a cup a day but you can split it up into two feedings.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No, you aren't feeding enough or enough variety daily. The main daily staples consist of a variety of lettuces (any but iceburg, spring mixes without spinach or chard are fine for daily use), bell pepper every day (1/8 of a pepper per pig) and cilantro. Then you need to add in 3-5 rotating veggies. As I just stated on another diet thread, variety is the key to a good, well rounded veggie diet.

Because cavies are constant foragers, 2 or more veggie meals is far superior to one. If your pigs are over 6 months, they need their pellets limited to no more than 1/8-1/4 cup depending on the brand you feed.

Pigs4me

Cavy Slave
I feed them probably more than I should. They get about 3/4-1 cup per pig in the morning and about the same at night. They get unlimited timothy hay, and I about 1/8 cup of pellets per pig per day.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
The pigs need more of a variety. You should also switch to feeding twice a day instead of once.

You are giving too much pellets. 1/8th cup per pig is ideal.

Crystal520

Cavy Slave
Oh ok....I didn't know about the pellets. Thank you for the replies!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
In addition to 1/8 cup pellets each per day, and unlimited hay, mine get fed veggies 3 times a day. They get green peppers and some cilantro for breakfast; lettuces with non-leafy veg at lunch; and lettuces or other leafy veg plus non-leafy veg at supper time. They also get small treats (a small chunk of carrot; a sprig of parsley; or a few leaves of basil or a basil stem; or a bit of watermelon rind with no pink) between meals, usually at floor time. They hunt for the treats.

I understood that 1 cup per pig is the minimum per day, but that more veggies are not bad as long as they are not too sugary, too high in calcium, or too high in Vitamin A or oxalic acid. So mine probably get at least a cup and a half a day, each. My piggies love to be fed and I adore feeding them. Yet I feel I am always denying them what they want! I am always saying 'No, no more basil, piggies!' Or, 'That's it for lunch!!' etc. etc.