ONE THREAD per pig please!
We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Pleasedon't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly. You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
My guinea pig, Snickers, is a girl and was kept with her cage mate, Snowcap, who is male. We had no idea he was a SHE. And SHE might be pregnant! We need to scheduele a vet visit to confirm it. How much do you think the price will range?
Well, the cost range varies greatly depending on the vet, where you live, etc. I know from my pregnancy experience, that the vet did not say an x-ray was nessceary. I was told to weigh daily, and was given a list of pregnancy signs to look for, and documnet if I saw. Sure enough, after my observation, I, along with the vet decided she was pregnant, and she gave birth to two happy pups.
Good luck though, on whichever route you choose to pursue.
My vet charges $75.50. From what I have read though, that is a very cheap rate as far as x-rays are concerned and they are usually at least $100. I agree that an x-ray to determine whether or not your cavy is pregnant is unnecessary. You will soon be able to tell either way because of rapid weight gain, etc.
However, if she is older than a year, giving birth would be even more risky than normal, so I understand wanting to know as soon as possible.
An x-ray is not good for determining the pregnancy. The radiation can harm the babies. You can ask the vet to do an ultrasound. But as others have stated, it may not be necessary.
Have you separate them?
Talk to your vet/ a vet. My old vet let me make payments. I paid for my cat's neuter and labs over the course of a couple pay periods, she was also pretty good at giving me a list of all procedures they could do and letting pick the ones that were right for my cat and my budget, she also waved the exam fee because she was already going to be paid for the surgery later that day. So talk to your vet, explain the situation and see what they can do.