Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forages How much wheat grass?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I have been growing wheat grass for my guinea pigs for awhile now, and I'm wondering, how much can they really have? They kind I have is called something like "Hard red wheat grass" and says it can be used for juices, it taste really sweet. And it's growing really fast since I moved it to have more sun light, so I'm wondering how much I can give my pigs?

Wheat grass can be fed in unlimited amounts. But I've read threads that say if wheat grass is new to them, to start them off slowly. If you feed too much right away it can cause soft stools or the runs.

where did you buy the wheat grass seed (berries)? i've been looking, but it seems you can only buy them online - i can't find any stores that sell them. i'm currently growing plain old grass, and i love it as much as the pigs do, but i really want to grow wheat grass for them.

I found some wheat grass at my local co-op grocery store and at Petco, both being advertised as healthy for a variety of reasons and at Petco especially for pets. The Frapps love it. I've also read you can buy the seed at some places, but I haven't gotten that yet.

where did you buy the wheat grass seed (berries)? i've been looking, but it seems you can only buy them online - i can't find any stores that sell them. i'm currently growing plain old grass, and i love it as much as the pigs do, but i really want to grow wheat grass for them.

Do you have any organic/health markets? Perhaps like a Whole Foods?

My Petco sells wheat grass under the name Cat Greens. I buy it for the kitties, and Mufasa always gets his share, too.

I found some wheat grass at my local co-op grocery store and at Petco, both being advertised as healthy for a variety of reasons and at Petco especially for pets. The Frapps love it. I've also read you can buy the seed at some places, but I haven't gotten that yet.

I just got mine off of amazon here: (broken link removed) As mostly all of the cat grasses I looked at said they could have other kinds of grasses in them, which I wasn't sure if they were safe or not. :D

You can buy the berries at any health food store for way cheaper than you can get them online or already growing in a pot. The seeds, a little potting soil, a container and a little water are all you need to grow them.

actually i'm happy to share that i found some at shop-rite, of all places!! Bob's Red Mll has a 2 LB bag of wheat berries for $2.99. i'm getting ready to attempt to sprout and grow them. wish me luck!!:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.