Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How much to feed baby guinea pigs?

Guinny

Cavy Slave
Hello everybody! I'm new here, and to guinea pigs too. I recently bought two peruvian piggies from a breeder, both a couple months old or so, and I spent a lot of time researching about them.

Now, on to the point. I've had a couple of problems with their diet, but one little question bothers me the most. I feed each pig 1 cup of veggies a day (One half in the morning, and the rest in the afternoon). Mostly a handful of cilantro, 1-2 big slices of green bell pepper, 2-3 small slices of carrots, and 4-5 small pieces of romaine lettuce. I make sure it's all up to a cup, but I'm curious to know if I'm doing it wrong. Am I? Tell me what I should switch up or keep the same.

I'd also like to know what you feed your pigs, because one seems to be getting bored of the peppers! lol

Guinny

Cavy Slave
Ohh alright, thanks. :)

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
My girls also seem bored with peppers but I still give them because they are high in vitamin C and low in calcium.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If they seem bored with green peppers try switching it up for a day or two to a different colour. Every now and then I'll give my girls some red pepper instead of green. It's one of their favourites but they don't get it too often because of the sugar content.

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
Hello. I got my own guinea pig when he was about as old as yours. When they are that young a cup of veggies might be to much, maybe try to cut it down to half a cup of two thirds a cup. As for the variety, maybe only feed peppers every other day or so. Same with lettuce, because it can give them diarrhea if fed to often( that's what happened to my pig) perhaps switch out some veggies for new ones, like cucumber, banana, or tomatoes. The list goes on and on. But one thing to remember is to only feed fruits a few times a week. Good luck, and have a wonderful day.

Edited by bpatters: Guinea pigs need bell pepper, or another vegetable high in vitamin C, every day, not every other day. Their bodies are like ours, and cannot make vitamin. They need a steady source of it.

Lettuce does not give diarrhea if fed often unless a particular pig has some sort of problem with it. Most pigs get lettuce every day with no ill effects. The main things to remember are not to give iceberg lettuce (it has no nutritional value), and that romaine can cause excess calcium excretion in some pigs.

Last edited by a moderator: