Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets How much pellets should I feed them?

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
I have three guinea pigs and right now they are pretty much on full feed of pellets! I don't know how much they should eat a day, right now they are going through about 3/4 a cup a day and I don't know if I should cut back... They have 24/7 Timothy hay so do they really need all that much pellets? Just curious because I'm afraid I've been feeding them way to much!! How much pellets should a single guinea pig alone eat a day? I try to feed them each a cup of fresh veggies everyday! So I know they need unlimited hay, one cup of veggies a day per pig, and ? amount of pellets. Right now they are on kaytee pellets and hay...

Lilpiggies

Cavy Slave
How old are they? If they are young they can have unlimited pellets ..if they are older than 6(?) months they should be restricted.

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
How old are they? If they are young they can have unlimited pellets ..if they are older than 6(?) months they should be restricted.
Two of them just turned one and the other one is around 5 months old.

Jmoore77

Cavy Slave
Each piggie gets 1/8 cup of pellets a day:)

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
And you should definitely get them different pellets. Kaytee pellets are complete crud, as are most pellets for sale in stores. Oxbow and KMS are good choices, and Mazuri will do as well.

You may also want to look into buying hay online or via a local farmer or Tractor Supply. While Kaytee is a fine option, it is definitely the most expensive way to go in the long-term. I calculated it out the other day, and buying Kaytee is about twice as expensive than buying a twenty-pound box of SPS hay. Buying hay online or from a farmer will usually be the best-quality option as well.

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
And you should definitely get them different pellets. Kaytee pellets are complete crud, as are most pellets for sale in stores. Oxbow and KMS are good choices, and Mazuri will do as well.

You may also want to look into buying hay online or via a local farmer or Tractor Supply. While Kaytee is a fine option, it is definitely the most expensive way to go in the long-term. I calculated it out the other day, and buying Kaytee is about twice as expensive than buying a twenty-pound box of SPS hay. Buying hay online or from a farmer will usually be the best-quality option as well.
Thanks!! What are some of the best online hay brands?

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
KMS and SPS are the ones I've heard a lot of good things about. I haven't personally tried either of them, though, as I get my hay from my dad (who farms).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.