Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets How much pellet to feed?

Pinster56

Cavy Slave
I am adopting two adult piggies this weekend. I know they should have unlimited hay, but should they have unlimited access to pellets, also?

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
General is 1/4 a cup daily of Timothy based pellets for adults. Mainly they only eat hay and veggies, the pellets are just as a supplement.

tmarisco

Cavy Slave
At first, I measured out the pellets. But, after some discussion with my vet and doing some research, the pigs really just eat what they need (at least mine do). Overeating is never really a problem with pellets for me. However, I keep up with measuring the amount of fresh veggies to give them and make sure not to give them too much.

I have a satin pig, so I always worry about her weight because she likely has weak bones. Make sure you monitor their weight to be sure they aren't losing/gaining weight than is healthy.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't want to bet on a guinea pig only eating what he or she needs. You'd be better off to measure out 1/8-1/4 cup of pellets daily per pig. If they don't eat all of them, great. If they do decide to eat all of their pellets some days, you don't have to worry about them over eating.

Noodles

Cavy Slave
Each piggy should have 1/8 cup each, and if they're housed together, a bowl w/ 1/4 cup a day should be great. And don't forget the veggies!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Okay then maybe I need to change something. My guinea pigs get unlimited Oxbow pellets. I refill it maybe twice a week...? They aren't over weight from what i can tell. They are about 2.3 pounds. They have had unlimited pellets all their life. Should i cut back to what you suggest for two guinea pigs? I don't seem to have any problems. Oh and Pinster sorry that I've kinda hijacked your thread.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I'd do 1/4 or 1/8 cup twice a day (once in the morning once in the evening) assuming they both get about half of them each time.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Don't feed unlimited pellets, this can lead to a chubby piggy. I would make sure they get about 1/8 of a cup per day per pig, I would give seperate feeding bowls for a while so they can get into feeding habits and so they get their own fair share.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I feed mine 15 grams of Oxbow pellets per day per pig, this will normally last them until their 'dinner time' at 5pm, I've never had any left in their bowls after that time. I would never consider free-feeding them the pellets (mainly because I'd go broke in record time!) as they should be grazing on hay instead.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
I have 3 piggies and they always have pellets available -but never finish them. After a day or two, I dump and refill (about a handful in each side of their dish). I'd think they'd eat more,but rarely is it all gone. This morning, one side was gone but the other side wasn't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.