Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How Much is Too Much?

spritrain180

Cavy Slave
I've been questioning how much veggies and supplements I can give my Piggie at a time
Here is his diet:
Veggies
One whole stalk of celery
Sometimes a carrot ( The carrots we get are small, not baby, but small)
And a strawberry whenever one grows in ( They are small, we have a strawberry plant just for him)
Water
He has a large water bottle that lasts him three days, he has a vitamin supplement in it as well.
Food-
I switched him to an all pellet diet, he was eating this one that had all sorts of goodies in it- basil leaves, etc. But he keep picking out the good stuff and leaving the pellets ( or spilling them in the cage more like) so I know he was missing important stuff in the pellets, so now he has only pellets,which he doesn't like to well.
Hay-
-He gets as much hay as he likes, he gets Timothy Plus Marigolds, which is his favorite.
Extras-
He has a salt wheel in the cage currently, but he prefers the mineral one over it, which last time i went to the store they were out of stock.

He is, in no way, obese from this habit. He's plump, but no fat. But that's not what I'm asking.

Here's My Question: Is my pig getting too much vitamins? Or is that even possible? I could give you full detail on the supplement if you like.

Attachments

IMG_2566.jpg IMG_2260.jpg
Last edited:
Your veggie variety is seriously lacking. This chart will show you which veggies to feed and how often : https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

Red/green leaf lettuce and bell peppers are very popular. Bell peppers are a good, healthy source of vitamin C.

You shouldn't use supplements in the water. It alters the flavor and vitamin C degrades quite quickly in water.

The recommended pellets are KMS, Oxbow, and Sweet Meadow. In that order. Some pellets sounds fun and healthy, but aren't.

Hay should be in the cage constantly, so you're doing good there. I am unsure if marigolds are safe to consume daily, though.

I also recommend cleaning out your water bottle daily, or at least every other day. You'd be surprised how much back-washed gunk gets in there. Breeding ground for bacteria!

Edit: NO salt wheels at all! Those are terrible for pigs! They get all the minerals they need from veggies and *healthy* pellets!

I agree with everything @MissJean says.

Also, salt wheels and mineral licks are not good for piggies.

I agree with everything @MissJean said, but just to add on... The only Hay brand I know of that has marigolds in it is Kaytee, which is known for not having good hay. The best hay brands are Oxbow and KMS. How much pellets does he have daily, and how much does he weigh? If you're worried about him getting heavy, you can cut down on how many pellets he gets. Oh, and that picture with a strawberry on his head is adorable.

Alrighty! Thanks I'll take the salt wheel out and stop with the supplements in the water. we never really keep bell peppers in the house and we always have iceberg lettuce ( Which i heard is unhealthy for pigs because of the water content.

As for the water supplement, it could also be used in his pellets ( which i don't think he likes very well, or hes probably angry at me for changing it to just pellets)
Should i try it on his food, maybe it would encourage him to eat it?

And Timothy hay has many diffrent types, and its the only hay i can get.

Last we was weighed he was 2.9 Ibs ( He was recovering from an illness if it seems low)
He has a sifter feedrer of pellets, but he doesn't devour it all in one go.

I Did get Tablets, but he didn't like them

Your veggie variety is seriously lacking. This chart will show you which veggies to feed and how often : https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

Red/green leaf lettuce and bell peppers are very popular. Bell peppers are a good, healthy source of vitamin C.

You shouldn't use supplements in the water. It alters the flavor and vitamin C degrades quite quickly in water.

The recommended pellets are KMS, Oxbow, and Sweet Meadow. In that order. Some pellets sounds fun and healthy, but aren't.

Hay should be in the cage constantly, so you're doing good there. I am unsure if marigolds are safe to consume daily, though.

I also recommend cleaning out your water bottle daily, or at least every other day. You'd be surprised how much back-washed gunk gets in there. Breeding ground for bacteria!

Edit: NO salt wheels at all! Those are terrible for pigs! They get all the minerals they need from veggies and *healthy* pellets!

Ditto. This is all that needs to be said. MissJean covered it all perfectly.
I would like to add:
Purchase some vitamin C tablets. STRAIGHT Vit C. No childrens or babies. Just straight Vit C. I use this one for Whistles. He gets a 1/4 everyday unless he has oranges for the week. then he gets a half every Saturday. It is also citrus flavored and he gobbles it up no problem!
https://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133409

Alrighty! Thanks I'll take the salt wheel out and stop with the supplements in the water. we never really keep bell peppers in the house and we always have iceberg lettuce ( Which i heard is unhealthy for pigs because of the water content.

As for the water supplement, it could also be used in his pellets ( which i don't think he likes very well, or hes probably angry at me for changing it to just pellets)
Should i try it on his food, maybe it would encourage him to eat it?

And Timothy hay has many diffrent types, and its the only hay i can get.

Last we was weighed he was 2.9 Ibs ( He was recovering from an illness if it seems low)
He has a sifter feedrer of pellets, but he doesn't devour it all in one go.

I Did get Tablets, but he didn't like them

If you have a Win Dixie by you, I HIGHLY recommend buying your veggies there. The Red/Green leaf lettuces are GREAT and their prices are EVEN BETTER.

Try crushing the tablets into a powder source/either sprinkle onto his veggies or his pellets. Are they flavored in any way?

Last edited:
I highly recommend you to start giving him more vegetables.
Even if you don't like bell peppers, they're pretty inexpensive, and they hold up in the fridge for a couple days until they are completely gone. Also, heads of green or red lettuce aren't very expensive either, and these are things that are easier for you to adapt to if you want to feed your piggy what you're eating. I also used to only like iceburg lettuce, now after trying others such as red or green leaf that's all I use in my salads anymore. Things like bell pepper I have tried to like but I can't get over the texture. Bleck, so I buy it just for my guinea pig (and rabbit.)
But there has got to be more than just celery, strawberries, and carrots that are on the list that you enjoy.

Sadly i do not have a Win Dixie.
The Tabs are "Daily C"
From Oxbrow.
It quotes " A Tasty source of vitamin C"
But i actually don't see anything about it being flavored.
At one point i was crushing them into a powder on his food, but i didn't think he'd be getting anything from it.

Sadly i do not have a Win Dixie.
The Tabs are "Daily C"
From Oxbrow.
It quotes " A Tasty source of vitamin C"
But i actually don't see anything about it being flavored.
At one point i was crushing them into a powder on his food, but i didn't think he'd be getting anything from it.

I think the oxbow tablets are just as good as my GNC tablets.
He should get the same amount that he would get in tablet form. I'd just sprinkle it over the pellets in the opening where he would eat from/replenish it every day or so.
Personally, even tho several guineas love leaf lettuces, i'd wait to see which one is his favorite then, with a leaf slightly damp sprinkle the powder on the leaf.

Well really, it's up to my mom and what she gets. But i will ask her to get more stuff for Henry. As it says below my user, i am a Newbie ( But i've had Henry for 5 years now.) I last time i checked.. in the fridge we have celery carrot.. and ice berg lettuce ( that has black spots that don't look yummy)
My mom buys veggies when she needs them to cook, but he always gets scraps in edition to what he gets daily when ever she does. But i will defiantly get more variety for him

I think the oxbow tablets are just as good as my GNC tablets.
He should get the same amount that he would get in tablet form. I'd just sprinkle it over the pellets in the opening where he would eat from/replenish it every day or so.
Personally, even tho several guineas love leaf lettuces, i'd wait to see which one is his favorite then, with a leaf slightly damp sprinkle the powder on the leaf.

Alright i'll start giving him the tablets again.
Do you think it would give his pellets some flavor? to maybe encourage him to eat them?

I don't know, I personally think vitamin C supplementation is a waste of money. Some pigs are rescued with vitamin C deficiency and require it until they're well.

Bell Peppers and cilantro are cheap anywhere you go. I give those to my pigs along with KMs pellets( which have a more stable form of C) and they're just fine on vitamin C. Pet Stores seem to really kick up a lot of paranoia of vitamin C deficiency. I think people need to chill out a bit. :p

I don't know, I personally think vitamin C supplementation is a waste of money. Some pigs are rescued with vitamin C deficiency and require it until they're well.

Bell Peppers and cilantro are cheap anywhere you go. I give those to my pigs along with KMs pellets( which have a more stable form of C) and they're just fine on vitamin C. Pet Stores seem to really kick up a lot of paranoia of vitamin C deficiency. I think people need to chill out a bit. :p

I think i'll try a drop on a pellet and see if he'll take it from me.
I just got up to check his food, and i see he has eaten a bit,
I think getting older kind of messes with his appetite.
My hamster went through the same thing when he became an old man :)

The only hay I've ever seen with marigolds is Kaytee hay which is TERRIBLE quality hay!! Please consider switching to Oxbow timothy hay or KMS timothy hay if you're currently using Kaytee.

Alright i'll start giving him the tablets again.
Do you think it would give his pellets some flavor? to maybe encourage him to eat them?

not sure
eat one/let us know what it tastes like
the tablets aren't any different than the ones you would eat xD

I heard from several users on here that even the highest quality pellets lose their vitamin c over time. and that the best vitamin c is from either certain fresh veggies/fruits and the tablets come in behind them.
I'd rather keep giving my pig his tablets than see him get scurvy outta know where. His veggies don't always include something with vit C. he gets a different fruit every week. his red/green leafs are switched every week or 2 weeks(depends on money) and his 2nd/3rd veggie is switched every week.

ETA: how old is he?

The only hay I've ever seen with marigolds is Kaytee hay which is TERRIBLE quality hay!! Please consider switching to Oxbow timothy hay or KMS timothy hay if you're currently using Kaytee.

I'll also agree with this. Kaytee can be quite stemmy, not as green. When I was a new piggie owner my pigs wouldn't eat very much of it. I switched to KMs and now I can barely keep their racks full!

How old is your pig, spritrain?

Kaytee is the only thing that i have available here
And i know my mom ain't going to order hay for him.

I'll also agree with this. Kaytee can be quite stemmy, not as green. When I was a new piggie owner my pigs wouldn't eat very much of it. I switched to KMs and now I can barely keep their racks full!

agreed
i switched whistes to Oxbow from kaytee and the 1st month he went crazy over it. hes toned down a little bit. but it was a definite difference between quality. he will soon be switched to KMS.
ETA Oxbow should be available at any petsmart. I get a 3lb bag for 11.99

How old is your pig, spritrain?

He is five
And my pigg loves the hay he gets, he devours it very quickly ( Lets just say I look to see him munching, i look back to wahtever i'm doing, next time i look it's gone). He loves it.

agreed
i switched whistes to Oxbow from kaytee and the 1st month he went crazy over it. hes toned down a little bit. but it was a definite difference between quality. he will soon be switched to KMS.
ETA Oxbow should be available at any petsmart. I get a 3lb bag for 11.99

Hmm, last time I checked i didnt see it, maybe it was out of stock at the time. I'll look for it though. But if it costs more then Kaytee, my mom won't let me get it.
She doesn't care much for him >>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.