Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How much is too MUCH ??

geo13

Cavy Slave
so i was wondering how much is too mch when we talk about hideys,toys,beds, ect. see cuz i noticed guinea pigs do play alot they run around and chase eachother while popcorning. so doesnt alot of things in their cage limit the amount of excersize/play space? i mean i first bought pigloos couches hammocks toys ect and noticed that they wouldnt run around that much . but when i took most of them out and replaced them with "roofs" and half hideys where they ca run through it they seemed much much happier? any one have any input on this? is a piggi happier with tons f toys and beds ect or with more room less stuff?:?::?::?::?:

I stick with just a few hiddys and toys, because when there is to much stuff, it's just like having your room cluttered...you can't run and play as well. I also try and switch out the toys so that they have new things to play with. It's also a good idea to not put anything right up against the sides of the cage. This lets the pigs do full laps around the edges, and use the full room of the cage.

i agree i mean im always tempted to buy more but my husband tells me " let em be you just gonna take space that they can use to run" this comining from a man who really isnt into animals lol:eek:ptimist:

Haha yeah, when I first got my pigs, I was all like "Oh I'll get them this and this and this and oh that would be cool let me get some of those too!" I loaded there cage full of stuff, and realized that when they tried to run around they would bump into stuff, and not be able to have fun. So I took out most of the stuff and now they have a blast running around the cage at full speed! And now I also have extra toys that I'm able to switch out so that they don't have they same old toys day after day. :D

I am with everyone that can't stop buying things. I have a bit of an obsession with 'they neeeed this, and this..' luckily i stopped when i realised they like simple things like herby pots (a bit too much, i have no herbs left, they don't let them grow anymore!!) and log ramps, hideys. Would have saved me a lot of money!! I am a sucker for a cute wooden house though.. :)

I grow herds for my piggy babies, but it doesn't end up working well, because It takes sooooo long to grow, and they eat it all in like two seconds flat. xD Though I have a huge pan of wheat grass that I grow for my pigs which they seem to really like, plus it grows fast so that I won't run out.

I think YOU want them to have "stuff". They don't need "stuff" to be happy. Plus we have all these pet companies telling us that we should buy all these products to make our animals happy, when really, spending more time with us one on one is what they really want. My kids are happier with a cardboard box then anything I could buy.

BTW, I love shopping for them too, but I'm trying to kick the habit...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.