Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay How much hay is too much (to store, and to use before going bad)?

zaylea

Cavy Slave
I'm going to order some bluegrass from KMS Hayloft soon. I live in a 2 bdrm apt so any hay I buy will need to get stored in here somewhere. I'd like to get as much as possible without it going bad and being able to reasonably store it. I am having trouble grasping how large a 45 lbs box of hay would be. I only have two very young pigs (vet thinks they're about 4-5 wks) and they eat maybe 3-4 handfuls a day between the 2 of them (it's unlimited, just that seems like how much I add everyday.) I was thinking about storing the hay in this wooden hamper with a cotton liner (wide spacing between the slats, pretty good air flow.)

Basically, I'm just looking for advice on what's the most I should order at once, and how long I can expect it to last.

A 45 pound box is approximately 18x18x25.

Your idea for storing it is fine. It won't go bad unless it gets wet -- hay will retain it's nutritional value for at least two years.

A 45 pound box lasts my two pigs from 5-7 months.

I'd suggest ordering the smallest package first to see if they like it (unless you already know that). Pigs can be picky about their hay, and unless you're wanting to donate to a local shelter, you may find yourself with the materials to make a new hay mattress for your bed!

Yay! Dimensions! Thanks.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure they'll eat it because they prefer Oxbow's Orchard Grass over Timothy Hay. If they don't eat it, there's a shelter with a lot of bunnies nearby.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.