Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? How much fruit/veggies is to much?

bambiflowerlove

Cavy Slave
I feed my piggers a hand full of red/green pepper a day. Is this to much?
Also are the following OK?
-Apple
-Parsley
Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Have you seen the nutrition charts sticky thread at the top of this forum? If not, you may want to look over it.

Red peppers are too sugary to feed daily. They are best fed a couple times a week either in addition to green or as a substitute for green. Green bell peppers are fine daily. Each pigs needs about 1/8 of a pepper per day to ensure C intake.

Fruits need to be fed in moderation no more than once or twice per week due to sugars. About an 1/8 of an apple with peel can be given per pig. Make sure to remove seeds.

Parsley, due to high calcium is best fed only a couple times a week also. Cilantro, can be fed daily.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
My piggies (5) go through about a whole bell pepper a day. They also go through an .89 cent pack of cilantro a day.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
As Ly said, you should take a look at the veggie chart HERE.

The rule of thumb is to feed at least a cup of mixed vegetables daily. It seems to me that you're not feeding a big variety. Variety is the key to a healthy diet.

I start with two lettuce-type veggies. Here's an example: today I used green leaf lettuce and cilantro as the base of the diet. Then I cut up a cherry tomato, a 1/4 of a yellow bell pepper, and added two baby carrots. I also added a few sprigs of parsley.

The key is to feed at least two lettuce-like greens and a 1/8 of a bell pepper daily (to ensure Vit. C intake), as well as other veggies.

You cannot feed everything everyday. You've got to switch it up daily. Also, do not feed veggies that have high amounts of Oxalic Acid or Calcium daily, as these can lead to sludge or bladder stones. (Bad for piggies)

HERE are some sample menus that can give you an idea of what you can feed your pigs.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.