Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How much do you spend on hay?

That's weird... I know about Chico, which northern. Chino's close to LA, about 30 miles or so, E of LA. :)

I found hay by the bale at a local animal supply store, but the bale is huge, I wouldn't have room to store it.
Often supply stores will sell it by the biscuit as well as by the bale. Usually they aren't too fussed about making a smaller quantity available.

It would be nice, but the guy there was looking at me like I was some kind of alien. :)) Not very diverse supplies there, more for dogs, birds and farm animals.

I was about to order a new 45 lb box of KM, but I think I will go this weekend and see if I can find some locally. I'm in central TN so I am sure there has got to be some hay somewhere close by for sale.
My only concern is that I do not know one kind of hay from another.
Not sure how to avoid getting alfalfa hay.
And it seems they come in HUGE quantities.

Kim, exactly my concerns!

The local farms know what kind of hay they plant and they should be pretty honest about it. I'm sure someone with more time could link a list... Awww never mind I'll do it.

https://www.guinealynx.info/hay_ratio.html

Here is a list of the different hays. If you have older pigs you want to stay away from the higher Ca/p hays. Too much calcium can cause a whole host of issues. Write down the lower Ca hays and ask for 2nd/3rd cut hays if those. Mixes are ok as long as they are all similar.

I pay $12 a year for my hay. I buy 3 65lb bales from my local farmer. Its a bit brown and coarse but my piggies prefer it over the Kaytee and oxbow stuff (I had to buy some inbetween the growing season last year). Its 2nd cut orchard grass. This much hay lasts my 4 messy wasteful piggies a year. They take pleasure in pulling hay out of the racks and peeing on it. Which is why I'm going to try Jen's custom crafts new hay troughs...

But $12 a year is a fantastic price for all the hay the piggies can eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.