Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How much do you spend on hay?

If I recall right I got a 15 lb box of hay and a 9 lb bag of pellets for $40 including shipping from Kleenmama's. I bought it at the beginning of September and it'll probably last me another month or two. It's been really really cost effective for me. I got the girls on August 29th and I spent the $40 for the food and hay, $10 for two sets of fleece, $15 on towels, $50 on cubes and coro, and like $15 for some cage toys. And I haven't had to spend money on them since, except for fresh veggies and getting their nails trimmed at the vet (I'm too scared to do it on my own haha)

When I'm up to new hay I have a look at Pet Barn and the farm supply store near me for quality. Usually the farm supply has something good and I can get a bale for $14. With a bale I do have to use it quickly to get through it while it's fresh and I think the piggies like that best. Tonnes of hay everyday, changed each day.

Success!!! Ended up going to the store and ordered a 50lbs box of oxbow for $79. PHEW! I think this will bring down my cost from $325 to $79 over the next 6 months....

I was buying large bags of oxbow but it go to be so expensive.
In August I order 45 lbs of 2nd cut from Kleenmama. It cost me $54 total but my boys (3 of them) are just now hitting the halfway mark with it.

I will definitely order from Kleenmama again.

Is the Timothy hay from Nature's Promise good quality for GPs? I found a good deal on Amazon and it cost only $23 for a 8lb bag. It says Western Timothy, is it different than plain Timothy? Should I better stick with Kaytee's Timothy hay? I found hay by the bale at a local animal supply store, but the bale is huge, I wouldn't have room to store it.

"$23 for a 8lb bag"

That is a ton of money to spend on hay! Where are you in So. Cal? You could get 45 pounds of amazing hay from KMS hayloft for only $4 more (plus shipping, of course, but even including that you will have almost 3 times the amount of hay from KMS than if you bought 2 bags of the Natures Promise at the same overall cost)

So Cal has many farms and feed stores where you can get hay from. If you let me know where you are, I might be able to point you in a good direction. I've gotten large bales of hay (probably 30 pounds) locally for less than $10. But I must say, even with cheap hay available locally, nothing matches the quality of KMS hayloft hay, which is why I buy 60 pounds at a time from her.

I found hay at a local supply store for animals and it was far from $4, it was $22 for a bale which is still good, but the bale was huge and I don't have room to store it. We live in an apartment and there is no storage space here.
I'm close to Chino.

Oh, and I asked the guy from that store about how good the hay is, what cut, etc, and he looked at me like I was asking him about martians or something, so I can't be sure about how good that hay is.

Do you know anyone else with pigs who lives near you? If so, you could split up a bigger bale. I store two large boxes of hay in a closet so that I don't need to buy the smaller bags with inflated prices.

Anyways, back to your original question, that hay should be fine. Inspect the bag for stemmy pieces. The best hay will be soft, green, and fragrant. If the bag is full of hard pieces, which increase the chances of a hay poke and are ignored by some pigs, I wouldn't waste the money on it. The problem with much of the hay I see in stores is that it is usually first cut, so it is stemmier and rarely very soft. The 3rd cut I got from KMS hayloft hasn't had a single hard strand in it, and I've been feeding it for almost 2 months.

I don't know if there is a technical difference between timothy and western timothy, but either can be fed to pigs as their hay source.

No, I don't know anyone else near me. I don't have any storage space (closet or anything else) in our apt, so I might end up buying the smaller bales. The one we bought from a pet store has a very strong fragrance and not too many stems, but a lot of soft flowers (or what's their names - the flower-ish part of the grass). I just hope the other hay found not in pet stores is the same quality.
I've inspected the bales when I was at the small animal supply store here and it looked very dry, not green at all. I think that one's better for horses than for small pets.

Thanks for your help, SurfingPigs.

No, I don't know anyone else near me. I don't have any storage space (closet or anything else) in our apt, so I might end up buying the smaller bales. The one we bought from a pet store has a very strong fragrance and not too many stems, but a lot of soft flowers (or what's their names - the flower-ish part of the grass). I just hope the other hay found not in pet stores is the same quality.
I've inspected the bales when I was at the small animal supply store here and it looked very dry, not green at all. I think that one's better for horses than for small pets.

Thanks for your help, SurfingPigs.

I put my hay into those brown yard waste bags and store it that way. You're storing it more vertically that way and it takes up less space. I keep the top of the bag open for good ventilation. You could donate some to your local animal shelter. I buy 50 lbs of Oxbow Orchard grass. It fills 5 yard waste bags. I always donate a bag to my local animal control.

That's true, I could donate half of it, but then I'd pay maybe the same as on the others by bag. Our apt. is not that big to store stuff anywhere and we can't do anything about this. I've seen some Oxbow Orchard too but I can't remember where. :D

Do you have a friend you can "rent" some space from? Maybe ask them to hold a few bags of it, and offer them $10 or so to do it?

You could raise your cage and store hay under the cage.

How much do you spend on hay?

When I get a bale, I usually put them in 18x18x24 inch boxes. The hay barn will help me break the bale and put them in separate boxes. They are easier to transport too. I give one to a friend, one to a shelter and store the other box under my cage.

I wish we'd have a house of our own, then all these storage problems would be gone. Under the cage we already store their bedding, hay, pellets and some other stuff. I have to find the most convenient way to have good hay for them and at a good price for us too, but giving it away would make it at the same price as the bagged one. And no friends close to us, nor family either. :(

I figured that the bale was 115lbs. I split into 3 boxes so it's about 38lbs. I only pay $20 for the bale.

Last edited:
That's a great price, lissie! Forgot to ask how big the bales were, but they didn't seem to be that big. Anyway, the hay was very dry, that kind of almost-yellow hay. I think my piggies won't like it. I'll still look for some good, green hay around here, but didn't find too many places on internet searching.

How far are you from Penryn, CA? There's Dave's hay barn there. The branch in San Jose has really good hay. Their hay might come from the same place. I always buy their orchard hay.

I'm in Socal, Chino, nowhere close to Penryn. I had to look it on the map, had no idea about it until now. ;)

Okay :) I looked up Chino, CA. And it came up in Northern California :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.