Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? How much do I feed all day.

Amberlily

Cavy Slave
I keep finding list on what types of food Guinea Pigs eat but I'm confused about how much they eat. I have been doing 1 cup of veggies (half in the morning and half in the evening), 1/2 cup of pellets, 1 orange slice and hay all day. Is this right?

The veggies have been mostly lettuce or Kale and green pepper. I've also thrown in a slice of sweet potato. They squeak anytime I touch a bag so I'm worried I'm not giving them enough.

They are about 9 weeks old and this is the amount of food I give to each of them.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
oops. wrong post.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Pigs under 6 months can have unlimited pellets. Pigs over 6 months get 1/8th cup daily. They can have unlimited hay, and 1 cup of veggies per pig a day. Be careful with kale, oranges, and sweet potatoes. Those three should be a treat every 2 weeks. Read: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List Oranges can irritate their mouths because of the acidic juice. Green bell peppers will work for vitamin C. You can give them 1/8th of a pepper daily.

Last edited:

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I keep finding list on what types of food Guinea Pigs eat but I'm confused about how much they eat. I have been doing 1 cup of veggies (half in the morning and half in the evening), 1/2 cup of pellets, 1 orange slice and hay all day. Is this right?

The veggies have been mostly lettuce or Kale and green pepper. I've also thrown in a slice of sweet potato. They squeak anytime I touch a bag so I'm worried I'm not giving them enough.

They are about 9 weeks old and this is the amount of food I give to each of them.
1 cup of veggies a day per pig. I give 1/2 in am and 1/2 in pm as well. Since they are under 6 months old, kale is fine as under 6 months they need calcium, as are things like parsley and dandelion greens, etc.

If you are giving them pepper every day, they don't need orange slice. It's acidic and may cause mouth sores in pigs. So I'd bag that or just give it as a treat a couple times a week.

EVen if you are giving alfalfa hay, they still need timothy or some other kind of hay like orchard, blue grass... At this age the pellets can be limitless.

Last edited:

Amberlily

Cavy Slave
So I'm on the right track then. I just need to adjust a few things.
Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.