Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How Many Pigs In a 28 Square Foot Cage?

Liknvi

Cavy Slave
I currently have two pigs and, after much measurement, am hoping to build an irregularly-shaped cage of around 28 square feet of total space over two tiers. I was planning on starting with a 3x4 cage, and then adding two 2x2 extensions and another two 2x2 lofts.

How many pigs would live comfortably in that amount of space? I'd love to adopt a few pigs from my local shelters, but I don't want to crowd up the new cage. :)

You need at least 10.5 square feet for two pigs on the main floor, and another 2.5 square feet for every pig you add. Don't count the lofts in the footage.

@Liknvi I think you may have done your calculations wrong, assuming the dimensions you gave are in grids and not feet (i.e. 3 grids by 4 grids for the main part, not 3 feet by 4 feet). A grid is 14 inches so 1 square grid is more than 1 square foot. I come up with about 27 square feet, not counting the lofts. So the first 2 pigs need 10.5 square feet out of the 27, which leaves 16.5. And since each added pig needs 2.5 sq feet additional, I calculate you could have a total of 8 pigs. This of course hinges on you finding that many pigs that all like each other enough to live comfortably. If it were me, I would stop at 5 or 6.

*smacks head*

I was so caught up in making sure I got it by grids on the floor that I forgot to take grids into account when I measured in-cage space. Thank you for catching that! lol

Heh, yeah, eight is a lot. I think I'll probably go to around five. Hopefully I can adopt three pigs that my sassy Abyssinian won't assume exist to take all her food.

Thank you all for the help! :)

Since your main level is 3x4 grids, you could only fit 4 pigs in there. Levels don't count towards square footage.

Edit to add:
Is the 2x2 extension on the main level? If they are, you're right, you could have up to 8 pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.