Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) How Many Guinea Pigs

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys i have already got 2 guinea pig in a medume cage. but im am upgarding to a large cage with a upstairs anf full closed for 3. would 3 guinea pigs be alright together or 2 will be fine i really want 3 but im scared they might pick on each other

Guniea pig trios are quite common. Are your piggies male or female? Whatever they are, make sure your new pig is of the same gender. That said, two of them will be quite happy together as it is, assuming they get along. There's no way to know whether a new pig and yours will get along before introducing them; they may be best friends from day one, or they might scrap it out for a while, or maybe never get along.

i agree with @Mastershroom. whenever you introduce a new pig it's always a gamble. i have one male that i've tried to get a companion for three different times - he hasn't gotten along with any of them. whatever you decide, be prepared with a Plan B if they don't get along - you may need to live with another cage, or a permanently divided cage. i didn't think this through entirely when i brought my third pig home to be with my bonded pair. so i ended up with 2 cages, when all i wanted was one. but you can't (at least you shouldn't) give them back once you take them home - guinea pigs are for life! good luck

hey guys they are both females one is 1 month old and the other one is 1 an half months old, im thinking of getting another 2 now but the only ones i can find are 6 months from my local breeder cause my local breeder gets adpoted guinea pigs then breeds them and sells them or well give them away so will the four bond even with the big age difference

Do not buy from the breeder. This forum is very anti-breeding, have you looked for any shelters/rescue in your area? Or have you tried petfinder or craigslist?

Anyways, any age pigs should bond, depending on the pig.

Just make sure your cage is large enough. If you do decide to get a 3rd, the C&C should be at least a 2X5.

If you plan to get another, please adopt rather than get from a breeder.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.