Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? How many guinea pigs can my cage hold?

RoxyandLilo

Cavy Slave
It's a 2 story 2x5.

2x5 on both levels.

I currently have two piggies.

I am not the cage expert, but usually it is said that second stories do not count for total space. Are your pigs girls or boys? I have four sows in a 2 x 5, but they spend a lot of time out on the floor in a huge space. Boys need more room. I think you'd be safe to get one more if you have the money for vet care, etc.

They're both females. Why doesn't a second floor count?

A second floor doesn't count because guinea pigs are ground dwellers, not climbers like ferrets or chinchillas. They need to have plenty of space on the main level to do zoomies. Not all guinea pigs will use a second floor so you need to make sure you have adequate space for however many pigs you have on one level. Second floors are just a bonus that doesn't count.

I have 3 females in a 2 x 5. I found that a 2 x 5 was too small for a neutered male and three females. I had a 2 x 6 with 5 females and that was way too small for them so I split the girls into two cages.

I have 4 females in a 2x5, with a 2x3 loft. They do fine in it. Two of them prefer the loft, one has never gone up there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.