Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids How many grids exactly???

dakotaw

Cavy Slave
How many grids would I need for Width: 20 inches Length: 33 inches? Would it be a 2x3? 2x4? I have no clue and I am new so PLEASE HELP!!!

A cage that size would only be about 4-1/2 square feet, too small for even 1 guinea pig, and certainly not recommended. How many pigs do you have or want to get if you don't already have them?

A 2X3 (grids) is 27 in. X 41 in.

A 2X4 (grids) is 27in. X 56 in.

So 20 X 33 is WAY smaller than either one and isn't suitable for a pig to live in.

Last edited:
It would probably be a 1 x 2. A 2 x 3 (the minimum for one pig) has dimensions of 28 wide x 40 long. Good luck! :)

How many pigs do you have or want to get if you don't already have them?

I plan on getting one. I would LOVE to get two but there is a 98.9% chance that I would be allowed to get two.

If you plan on adopting one, you need a MUCH bigger cage. The MINIMUM for 1 pig is a 2X3 (27" X 41").

Last edited:
20 X 33 is WAY smaller than either one and isn't suitable for a pig to live in.

Well, she will have room for her food, water, and plenty of space to run around in. She will also have plenty of playtime and floor time. What's lacking? :eek:hmy: :?::(?

Last edited:
Well, she will have room for her food, water, and plenty of space to run around in. She will also have plenty of playtime and floor time. What's lacking? :eek:hmy: :?::(?
20 inches by 33 inches is NOT plenty of space. That's about 4 and a half square feet. A single pig needs 7 and a half, and two pigs would need a total of 10 and a half.

Even if that WAS a big enough size for a cage, it would not work well with grids since they are typically 14 inches across so the cage needs to be multiples of 14 inches in each direction.

What's lacking?
What is lacking is 7 inches in width and 8 inches in length.

A 20 X 33 is what you have if you want her to live in a closet sized space where she would poo and pee, eat and sleep all in the same little area. It's unsanitary and can lead to bumblefoot and other types of infection.

Bigger cage means cleaner, less odor and happier pig.

Well, this flip-flop is the size of a piggy, and this space is the size of her cage! There is lots of room, even when you count food and water! Her cage will be swept daily, so it will be sanitary! :)

That link takes me to the sign in page for Google email. What are you trying to show us?

No matter how you slice it, that cage is WAY too small for a pig. The sanitary part I talked about is how she will be walking and sitting and laying where she pees which can cause irritation on her skin and bumblefoot. Sweeping daily might help keep the poos off the cage floor but the poos aren't what will irritate her skin and cause bumblefoot.

Your idea about what constitutes "plenty of room" is shocklingly left-of-center.

The link you included goes to a 404 error page.

And what exactly is a "flip-flop"?

Guinea pigs don;t just need room to turn around, they need room to run, play and be happy. Putting a pig in a 1x2 cage for their whole lives is just like putting you in a closet for your whole life. It's not ok, even if you get a little time per day to get out, you still have to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom in that little space of a closet. Does that sound like fun for your pig? You would rather live in a large home than a closet, it's the same with pigs, they need more space.

@CavyMama, I think she is saying a normal pig is about the size of a flip flop, therefore it doesn't need much room to live. Logic in her eyes.

Ohhhhhh flip-flop....like a sandal. I was thinking of some kind of unstable structure or collapsible cage. Haha!

To the OP - guinea pigs need to exercise on THEIR time, not yours. Taking her out for floor time is nice but she also needs a space to run around when you aren't around.

As PigP said, it would be like someone forcing you to live in a coat closet where you would sleep, eat and use the bathroom for the rest of your life and justifying it by saying, "oh there's room for food bowls and water. And I'll let her out once a day and sweep daily" Come on, seriously? Is that the kind of life you would be okay with ?

:mad: Here we go again.

guineapigluvv, if you truly loved the piggy you are supposedly getting you would give him/her more room than she/he truly needs. This is so sad.(broken link removed)

Guinea pigs love to run laps and need enough room to be able to get exercise. Just like humans, if guinea pigs don't get enough exercise their health declines. It would be cruel to house them in a tiny cage.

I'm curious - I'd really like you to show us a picture of a 2 X 1 grid cage with food bowls (that's TWO - one for pellets, one for veggies), water bottle and a hidey in it and then explain how there is "plenty of room" for a pig to run around in. Not just stand up and turn around but RUN around in.

Keep in mind that an adult pig is much bigger than a baby pig. And even if you get a baby pig, it will eventually become the size of an adult.

Also keep in mind that guinea pigs tend to want to run laps around the cage. Let us know where all this running space is that your 2X1 cage supposedly contains.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.