Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay How long will it last?

Nat453

Cavy Slave
How long, roughly, would 60lbs/28kg of hay last two piggies?
The hay I will be getting comes in 14kg bales, but that doesn't sound like it'd last that long. But I've never had pigs so I wouldn't know. Thanks :)

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure that anyone can answer this. It depends on the pig. I have 3 girls that go through about 3 full hay racks a day and 2 boys in another cage that barely go through one. It depends on the personalities of the pigs and how well they like the hay. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Nat453

Cavy Slave
I know it's a difficult one, I'm just looking for personal experiences. I don't want to buy too much because the quality would go decline nearing the end of it, but I didn't want to buy too little and be needing more every week. I don't fancy buying the stuff in pet shops as it doesn't look nice at all.
I know my friends pigs munch all day. Thanks anyway! :)

Razzle

Cavy Slave
I know that ten piggies go through ten pounds a week. I was caring for five and worrying about the price to keep up with the needs of the herd and was told twenty pounds a month indicated I was feeding them what was needed for that number. This from a lady who cares for a herd for a rescue. I now have a herd of seven and buy by the one hundred pound bales. It is excellent hay.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I usually get 50lb bales of hay and between 3 girls I can usually go through one bale in 6ish months maybe more. I usually buy 2 bales a year and even with differing quality and waste it lasts a good awhile, and we pay less than $15 for both balea combined (I just bought a bale yesterday for $8 but summertime they are < $6)

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Ok, then. Personal experience, my pigs will go through a 50 pound bale in about 3 months. Good luck!

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
owned by cavy how many do you have? I plan to buy some from KMS and I am not really sure how much to buy. I am thinking 25 pounds for five piggies.
They prefer it to be on the floor but I cannot always do that becase i have to work. I work allday and it wont be good anymore

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
Is there any difference in 3rd cut timothy and bluegrass?

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Sorry, sorry! I have 5 piggies and 50 pounds will last me about 3 months. Sometimes a little less. I have 2 hay racks in each of my cages (I have 3 girls and 2 boys, so I have to have 2 different cages) and I usually put a pile on the floor as well. That way, they have unsoiled hay to get at if they need it and a pile on their floor to play in. I also work all day and by the time I get home, the pile on the floor is gone and they hay racks are about half empty. I refill them when I get home and they're about half gone again before I go to bed. Then they get another pile and refilled again.

There is definitely a difference between 3rd cut Timothy and Bluegrass. They are two different things. But, they will both do the same job. Both are long grain grass hays, which is what piggies need an unlimited supply of. So you can get either one. As far as which one is better, is really a matter of personal and pig preference. Whatever they would rather have, is what you need to buy. Good luck!

Nat453

Cavy Slave
Sorry about the late reply, my Internet was down.
Thank you all for the replies, they were VERY helpful. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.